The Olinda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Construction Nut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone ever found the Olinda off the east side of Fishers Island in Long Island Sound. I tried to find it this weekend but no luck. Not sure we had the correct coordinates. Any idea what is left of the ship? I know it was a 250' steam ship. Should be something down there.

The remains are on the south eastern side of the island, about 30 feet from shore. The top of the boiler is visible during low tide. Not much left other then the boiler and the prop shaft. It was a nice shallow dive though. The day we went the viz was only about 5 feet. Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

I've dove it a few times like jencks23 posted not much left. Fish do hang there. Also about 1/2 mile out from the same shore is a ledge in about 35-40FSW that parallels the shore a nice drift dive if you have a boat with an operator to cover you, there are a lot of fishermen buzzing thru, a towed flag and a boat flying a flag doesn't seem to matter. The operator should always be able to put the portside of the boat between you and an oncoming boat. If the other boat does anything but give way at that point they are at fault. There are plenty of fish there too. A couple of nice easy shallow dives.

Back
Top Bottom