Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crash-A-Nova

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving and am in the process of buying my own gear. I have a few questions. My first question is would a used regulator be ok or with a regulator is that something u want to buy new. There is one one Craigslist here it has a us divers 1st and second stage, a Dacor computer and a oceanic second stage for back up. Hes asking $75 for this. Is this something I should stay away from?

I just looked at that ad on CL. Honestly, save your money. It's older gear from the 80's. That US Divers second stage model he's selling is prone to fracturing around where the hose attaches. The plastic becomes brittle and cracks when over torqued. The Dacor computer is only a bottom timer not a computer and you can pretty much count on it not working due to it age. Save your money. Keep looking. New isn't always better.

Thank you so much for looking at it for me. What type of regulator would u recommend for a beginner?

I would not buy a regulator or a computer unless I have a technician like knowledge of what I am getting. Fins masks, snorkels, weights and tanks etc is what I would buy from e-bay. A lot of times manufacturers warranty also does not apply to these things and I would not want to get stuck with used gear that no one services.

If you are doing warm/tropical diving then any regulator would work. I would recommend Atomics because they seem to be the Ferraris of regulators and I have never used a reg that breathes as easily as an Atomic. For cold water I would recommend Apeks (XTX50 or up) because that is a beast of a reg. Not as easy a breather as the Atomic but built to be bullet proof! Works in the extremely demanding harsh conditions. A cheaper alternative to Apeks is the Hogs regulators that have a strong following on this board. I have never used one so I can not say first hand.

I'll start with these questions: Are you certified yet? If so, what have you used up to this point?

Yes I am newly certified I've just use the rental regulators they have there but at times felt like I was constricted when I was breathing . I want something that will last but doesn't cost a arm and a leg.

umm... something to point out -- you might want to consider getting the us divers/dacor set if can get it cheap enough. And then turn around and use the pieces for trade-in on good equipment. At least some of the manufacturers will allow trade-in of old stuff for a good percentage off something new -- Aeris i know does this and it's stated on their website. so $75 might be worth it depending on what sort of discount you can get on everything else because of what you've spent on the junk. but look for better deals than that that are cheaper though or a really good deal on newer used stuff... check out the classifieds here on SB --

Congrats on your certification!

Now the fun part begins.

Here are a few questions for you.

What does your dive buddy dive? What does the people in your dive club dive? What are your dive plans for the next 50 dives? I am asking you this because the more information you have the better decisions you will make. We can say exactly what works for us and what we did but, we might not exactly have the same plan, goals, or money as you.

Here is what I did. I did a lot of reading. Looked a review. Looked at different set ups and what people were using. The first set of regulators I purchased were used form Craig's List. It was a scuba pro mk 20 recreational octo set and, it came with a simple air computer.

so...
I paid 150 I think for the set. Sent it to my LDS to have it serviced. I think I paid 50$ per stage for servicing. That is one first stage and two second stages. for 150$ total. It worked very well with out issues so, 300$ for ready to use cost. I still have it and let people borrow it that need it. I sold the computer for 50$

I still kept doing research and looking here and there for information. I also wanted to move to a long hose/necklace configuration because it is the configuration my dive buddy/mentor dove and I read a lot about it and it made a lot of sense to me. It was close to Christmas and Dive Rite In Scuba had a Christmas sale on Hog regulators. I wanted them because they required service only every two years and LATER after I am TRAINED I could service them my self. I also want to say that I purchases those on sale brand new with warranty for something like 500$ I mostly do warm water diving but, paid the extra 10 bucks to get the cold water feature. I felt that more people would want that if I wanted to sell it and what is 10 bucks.

I would say you can find good gear for sale used but, you have to know what you are looking at and what it is work (what you could sell it for) if you need to.

Hope that helps!
Bait

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom