spyderco salt series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dotcomdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am sure this has been covered before, if so I am sorry, couldn't locate details using search feature.
How does the salt series fare as a primary dive knife or even as a back up?
Does the blade have suitable wear capabilites to see me through a DM internship?
any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated .

DC

I work on an offshore tugboat and always have one on me at all times. It's a great knife and shows no sign of rust or corrosion. As for diving, while not really the style I use, it'd stand up and last for your use, no question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super sharp, easy to resharpen. 7 years ago left mine in a tackle box filled with salt water for two weeks on accident. Everything else was trash, still using the knife today.

It's got a no bs lifetime warranty.

do many people carry folders for dive knives,. how does the thumb hole size work underwater with gloved /non-gloved hands if it suffici3ently sizes to easiely operate under duress? Sorry for the hundred questions living in Australia it will be difficult to get one and an expensive option as they are prohibited to import(only what was purchased before laws changed available mainly from collectors who are overpriced and stubborn).

You already know it is a good knife. Many people make the reasonable argument that it is too expensive to lose. The simple answer is don’t lose it. I attach it to my wrist with a ¼" bungee and poke it in a pocket sewn to my wetsuit sleeve in warm water and up a glove in cold water.

Not sure how the Aussies' draconian knife laws handle fixed blades, but the Spyderco Jumpmaster has the same H1 steel and makes a fine dive knife.

Not sure how the Aussies' draconian knife laws handle fixed blades, but the Spyderco Jumpmaster has the same H1 steel and makes a fine dive knife.

The laws are pretty backwards, fixed blades arent an issue so long as they have only one shape edge other wise considered a dagger and not permitted even even in the country. does the sheath system fit in with the BC easiely and securely?

The laws are pretty backwards, fixed blades arent an issue so long as they have only one shape edge other wise considered a dagger and not permitted even even in the country. does the sheath system fit in with the BC easiely and securely?

That's between you, the sheath, whatever specific BC you have, and whatever attachment methods you choose. It is not a small knife, however, and I think the inside of a forearm might be a better place for it.

The quality of the knife is very good. I think it will outlast 95% of knives out there.

I carry it in a pouch on the waist strap.

But I'm having 2nd thoughts about deploying it in an emergency.

Pulling it out, getting it in position, opening the blade, all one-handed, there is a high chance of dropping it.

I am thinking strong currents, one hand occupied and you're being swept about. I think a simple steak style knife in a pouch will be better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom