What to buy for backpacking around Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

copacetic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning a seven month backpacking trip around Australia. I'll be picking up work wherever I can and diving as much as possible. I will be moving around a lot, using whatever means of transportation I can.

Currently, the only gear that I own is a mask, snorkel, and fins. I have a chunk of money saved up for this trip and would like to spend some of it on dependable, quality scuba gear that I can bring with me so that I don't have to rent everything every time I want to go diving. I've love to just get everything and lug it around with me so I can have all of my own gear, but I don't think that is financially feasible or very practical considering the amount of travel that I'll be doing.

So, considering that I'm working on a budget and will be more-or-less carrying the gear all around Australia, what should I look at getting? Which pieces of equipment do you think are essential to own, and which could I get away with renting?

(Right now, I'm leaning towards purchasing a regulator and waiting on a BCD until I get back, but that's about as far as I've gotten.)

While I can't comment on what equipment purchases to make, I would strongly suggest that you see how much it costs to dive in Australia and make sure that is budgeted. The cost to rent gear on boats is at most about $20, and there are a good number of shops that include gear as part of the dive package. To dive the great barrier reef, the cheapest price for a 2 tank dive will run you at least $160 (AUD). Most operations are in the $200-$250 range. To get the most bang for your buck, you should consider doing a liveaboard instead of the day trips. A liveaboard out of Townsville or Airlie Beach would probably be your best bet.

You'll see that Australia is a pretty expensive country compared to Canada and the USA. If you enjoy drinking, you will spend a small fortune! Another random fact is that one of the few places with free wifi is Macca's (aka McDonalds).

All of that said, I'm terribly jealous. Can I come with you? :blinking:

A few other items on OZ:

I don't know how old you are, but Airlie Beach is quite the party town. If you're into that kind of scene, you should spend some time there. Lots of hostels there too. Oh, and have a mojito at Fish d'Vine.

An option to consider for travel inside the country is to buy a campervan. Cheap Backpacker Car Sales Australia, Backpacker Campervans & Camper Car Sales, Cheap Campervan Cars for Sale Australia and Rent or Buy a Campervan - free advice email info@travelwheels.com.au might be good places to start. I met a couple on our liveaboard cruise that bought a campervan for their travels and were going to sell it at the end of their journey. Driving around the country gives you a greater appreciation for some of the smaller towns and you will see so many things that you might miss on a train or a bus, IMHO. Like the Giant Mango for instance.

IMG_00227.jpg

I'm still in touch with the couple who was traveling around the country in their campervan. If you want their info, hit me up and I'll send you their email address.

I spent a semester abroad in Townsville in 2011 and did my OW certification there, so I am all too familiar with how unfortunately expensive it can be to dive down under. I took a sailing trip out of Airlie Beach and had an amazing time there, so that will definitely be one of my destinations. I'll be sure to try that mojito :wink:

I've been thinking about getting a campervan, I'm just not sure that I can afford it. I may end up waiting until I arrive and trying to find some other backpacking divers to buy/rent a vehicle with. Thanks for the tip and the link!

My suggestion as an emergency services first responder in south australia is brush up on your first aide and cpr. Hope you never have to use it but I never leave the house with out it. Can find yourself long way from help at times , even helicopters can take hours to arrive in places.

Ahh, I'm jealous :). I loved chilling out there. That being said, you get a whole lot more scuba and travel for you buck if you head north to SE Asia. Bali is quite safe, amazing with some inexpensive sites, Thailand, the Philippines,etc :). At a minimum, I'd take a reg, computer & mask. I backpacked around with my full gear. Get a bag with wheels and a backpack suspension for the dive gear. your smaller personal backpack will go on the front. Consider an Al backplate/wing combo if you are getting a bcd as they are light, dry quickly and easy to pack. Have fun and feel free to contact me if SE asia sounds good.

A lot of travelers in australia hook into the woofing network and seem to hitch rides fine. http://wwoofinternational.org/

While I can't comment on what equipment purchases to make, I would strongly suggest that you see how much it costs to dive in Australia and make sure that is budgeted. The cost to rent gear on boats is at most about $20, and there are a good number of shops that include gear as part of the dive package. To dive the great barrier reef, the cheapest price for a 2 tank dive will run you at least $160 (AUD). Most operations are in the $200-$250 range. To get the most bang for your buck, you should consider doing a liveaboard instead of the day trips. A liveaboard out of Townsville or Airlie Beach would probably be your best bet.

+1 to this. Do the research on how much these places are charging for rentals... it may be cheap enough to persuade you to go that route and make packing and traveling a bit easier, especially if you are staying in sketchier hostels to save money.

Forget the BCD, bulky and a PITA for travel.

Mask, SNK, fins will see the most use. If you intend to buy at least one item, get a regulator as that packs down in to a fairly small bundle.

I would invest in a 1mm vest or diving polypropelene top. You can use them under wetsuits and they keep you toasty. Personally I'd aim for the polyprop top as they have sleeves. You can get a decent rash under the arms if diving only in a vest and BCDs cut through lycra really quickly.

I have a short-sleeved version of this:
Amazon.com: IST Long sleeve polypropylene shirt, XL: Sports & Outdoors

It is simply one of the best purchases under $100 that I have made for diving. I wear it as is- no wetsuit and it has lasted for over 2 years (maybe 400 dives?) and it still shows almost no visible signs of wear.

I spent a semester abroad in Townsville in 2011 and did my OW certification there, so I am all too familiar with how unfortunately expensive it can be to dive down under. I took a sailing trip out of Airlie Beach and had an amazing time there, so that will definitely be one of my destinations. I'll be sure to try that mojito :wink:
I've been thinking about getting a campervan, I'm just not sure that I can afford it. I may end up waiting until I arrive and trying to find some other backpacking divers to buy/rent a vehicle with. Thanks for the tip and the link!

Well if you spent a semester in Townsville, then you are no doubt familiar with Bowen's Giant Mango as well as Australian life! :) I wish I were a few years younger so that I could get one of those spiffy visas. Hard to believe that at 33 I'm past my prime for immigration purposes.

It will be the best mojito you've ever had, I promise. I emailed the place for their recipe, but haven't heard anything back. If you go there, make sure to hassle them for the recipe and PM it to me, lol.

I'm sure that you could find some other folks to buy/rent a campervan with. Maybe you could try posting a message on this site? Travel Partner in Australia: Find a Travel Partner or Travel Buddy for your Australian Holiday

When are you headed down under?

When are you headed down under?

I fly out mid-October. I think what I'm going to do is find a job ASAP somewhere where I can dive on days off, work for a few months, then look into getting a campervan (hopefully with friends that I've made!) and travel.

I'm going to go to my LDS to talk about buying a regulator. I think I may end up just buying the reg and renting everything else. Maybe I'll beg my brother to let me borrow his computer since he rarely uses it.

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom