Maldives or Indonesia???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys! In about 2 years, I am planning on retiring. When that happens, I'm going to do a bucket list dive trip. I've been looking at both of these areas and both seem to offer a lot of quality diving. I'd like to get some opinions on which might be the best bang for the buck. I'm thinking of Dive Damai in Indo (got a friend who leads a tour there) or Carpe Diem in Maldives. Due to the distances to get there, I'm also looking at a 10-12 day trip.

I'm interested in underwater photography and like both large animal and macro shooting, so I think I could be happy in either place.

What do you all think?

If you're going to the Maldives, opt for the Carpe Vita over the Carpe Diem. Same owners, both very well run, but you'll get more dives on the Vita.

Depending on your definition of macro, the Maldives doesn't have as much as Indo- certainly no where near the amount of weird critters that you can find in the 'Golden Triangle'. However for wide-angle shooting of whale sharks, mantas etc., the Maldives are tough to beat in terms of 'guaranteed' encounters in areas such as Maamigil, South Ari Atoll.

Note that the Dive Damai is one of the higher end boats for Indo. Staff/Diver ratio is supposed to be high for that one. Not a necessity, but a nice boat if you can afford it. I know RA trips are always 12-14 nights, not sure about Maldives. If you are coming from West Coast of US like me, traveling to RA will be less time than to Maldives. :) You wouldn't be disappointed in a trip to RA except perhaps for seeing whalesharks (though you could see them too particularly in certain areas).

I'm also trying to decide where to go on my first big luxury dive trip. Heard fantastic reviews about Wakatobi in Indo had a couple friends go there. Thinking of their Liveaboard and maybe combo island stay.

Was originally thinking to go to Maldives (before hearing about Wakatobi) because I want to see large animals, Whale Sharks and huge Manta's, etc.

In my research, I heard a lot of people talk about Phuket and having enjoy Phuket more than Maldives and some more than Indo.

It will be 4 of us (including my teenage daughter who is advanced diver).

Can any help me narrow down choices and possibly even recommend some resorts/ LOB's in Maldives or Phuket if that seems to be one of the winners. In terms of timing, I thinking July/August of this year

Thank You

I did a trip to Singapore..then Bali (dove the Liberty) stayed in Ubud. a few nights and then flew to Labuan bajo..stayed at Komodo Dive Resort Sabayor.? Saw everything except Whale sharks ...komodo dragons..ect...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2014 at 07:11 AM ----------

Sorry...found Bali esp Ubud fascinating..early am and night dives on Liberty wreck awesome...Manta diving in Komodo with dozens of them also incredible and the profusion of marine life in Komodo really impressive..Singapore was fun for a couple days too..

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2014 at 07:12 AM ----------

Give yourself a lot of time.

Can any help me narrow down choices and possibly even recommend some resorts/ LOB's in Maldives or Phuket if that seems to be one of the winners. In terms of timing, I thinking July/August of this year

Thank You

I highly recommend the Carpe Vita in the Maldives. I've done two trips with them and am going back for a third this summer. Wonderful crew, excellent diving, great service, and a huge boat with plenty of room for everyone.

Maldives: big species sharks, manta, whale sharks , Indonesia, the best place for macro. Your choice. Other outstanding places: great barrier reef, Borneo, Egypt.

Back
Top Bottom