Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thursday, the vis, straight down and left of the ramp, was crappy 'til about 116' in the trees where it was "goodish." After I ascended to 20' further left of the ramp, it was OK in spots (8'? and blurry). I was doing drills for 18 minutes so I didn't really care. I'm going tomorrow, my Dad's nocturnal and emperious cat willing, and will update. Oh, re "shallows," the public beach area looks very clear from the surface; I guess there's much less run-off there and a man-made sandy bottom.

Deputies: Diving accident lands man in hospital - FOX Carolina 21

[h=3]Deputies: Diving accident lands man in hospital[/h]Posted: Aug 10, 2013 10:37 PM EDT Updated: Aug 10, 2013 10:47 PM EDT By Chelsea Wallace - email

[h=6][/h]

OCONEE COUNTY, SC (FOX Carolina) - The Oconee County Sheriff's Office said at 12:36 p.m. Saturday, Oconee County responders were alerted to a diving accident on Lake Jocassee.
Deputies said bystanders reported that a member of a commercially led trip had an issue while on a deep dive adventure and needed assistance.
Deputies said that responders arrived on scene to find trip leaders treating a male patient who became ill while diving to a depth of more than 300'. While at that depth, deputies said the diver described feeling ill and began the slow ascent to the surface.
Deputies said the diver was able to make his required decompression stops while ascending. Responders and paramedics treated the man on scene until he was transported by helicopter to a hospital.
Deputies said the diver will undergo treatment in a hyperbaric chamber to reduce the potential effects from the pressure changes on the body from diving at deep depths. He is expected to survive.

I just chatted with some people as I knew mike was on the dive. He is fine. It was a CCR diver that had the problems. From what I know (not first hand) he dove his plan and did not have any missed stops. There was a respiratory component to it as well. I did not recognize the name of the diver, but I do not know any of the CCR divers.

I was the deep safety diver and was not given any indication that there was something wrong until the diver was on the surface. The information in the report above is sufficient until the diver wishes for more information to be released. I hope you all understand. He is doing better after the treatment.
As a matter of prevention, always do a pre-dive check of yourself as well as your gear and don't be too hasty to shrug off any signs or symptoms of DCI. Extensive coughing, headaches, trouble breathing, feelings of being lightheaded, and any achenes should be red flags that could indicate barotrauma.

On a lighter note, by the Junk:
Viz: 15'
Temp on surface: 82F
Temp at depth: 72F
Max depth: 82'
Avg depth: 53'
30min total run time.

Off the ramp and into the trees this morning, water was warmer than the air above until 110'. At 109' the water felt great. At 110' cold, real cold. Haven't downloaded info and didn't commit to memory exact numbers. Very few divers meant good clear diving for all in attendance, just odd that the usual 80' temp shift wasn't there it just saved it all up for 110.

Vis. @ Lake Jocassee Sunday was crappy form top to bottom (112'). Like watered down pea soup. Below 112' looked a little better, maybe, in the HID light.

Back
Top Bottom