San Diego Instructor for PPB Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MFortie

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I'm a newly certified OW diver (June) and just did dives 5/6 (was somewhat busy in July :wink: ). While I know the more I dive, the better I'll get, I realize I could really benefit from a Peak Performance Buoyancy course (especially after reading ScubaBoard!)

I felt somewhat like a turtle on my back flopping around in the water this last weekend!

I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good PPB instructor in San Diego?

The LDS I did my cert through offers one in Nov., but I don't really want to wait. Besides, I'm going to HI in September and would like to improve my skills prior.

I'm a 'senior' diver (much closer to 60 than 50) and have bought my gear (I know, but I didn't read the recommendations about waiting 'til afterwards.) So far, I've only been to La Jolla Shores (where I did my OW dives). I did join the LDS dive club and plan on participating with their dives, but also want to log some more dives prior to my trip.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for a local PPB instructor!

Thanks,

Mark

You really don't need an instructor to teach you a formal course. Get with some experienced divers or find an independent instructor who will do a tailored workshop for you. A number of us do that rather than have you shell out the money for a full class. I charge $75 for 3 hours in the pool where we go over proper weighting first since many new divers were not taught how to do that, skills in trim and neutral, and some basic rescue skills. Or the same for two hour long OW dives covering much of the same material but under real conditions.

In San Diego, you have UTD (Unified Team Diving) headquarter there. I would suggest giving them a call and tell them your goal and work out a training plan with them. Not to say PPB by a commercialized agency isn't a good class, but they can be a hit or miss (maybe more likely a miss). With agency like UTD, the quality is high and consistant.

Last edited:
Yeah, the first time I actually started to have buoyancy control and actually know what those words physically meant was after I took ESM with UTD taught by Jeff. It started with the basics of, hop in the pool with your bathing suit, mask, snorkel and fins on, and just progressed there-from. Before that I just knew there was a bottom and top to the water. Afterwards I believed there was a middle too (like you actually *can* hang out at 10' of water if the bottom's at 30' without constantly finning upwards).

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what UTD is; can someone enlighten me? (Or ESM?)

Mark

An excellent instructor in San Diego is Virginia Hatter. PM me for her contact info if interested.

Hell, I ain't no instructor but I've helped a couple of divers the last several years on their trim and buoyancy issues. For free.

Except that I'm in the LA area.

You really don't need an instructor to teach you a formal course. Get with some experienced divers or find an independent instructor who will do a tailored workshop for you. A number of us do that rather than have you shell out the money for a full class.

I totally agree.

Nothing beats a good mentor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom