A dark dive at Bluefish Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sunday was flat and calm, but the water was a bit snotty. Mixed with heavy kelp coverage, you know what that means: mock cave dive! Well, not quite, but it was quite dark. The benefit of that was that huge schools of juvenile fish were out; once we made landfall, it seemed we were swarmed by fish. There were various rockfish, sheephead, ling, jellies, the list goes on and on. The camera captured a lot more light than I could see at times, but man, it was like turning blind, dark corners all day. Super atmospheric, and a lot of fun.

[video=youtube;i-zf3gDAuD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-zf3gDAuD8[/video]

Great video! Boy, that was a really dark day! I donk think I've ever seen so many baby fish in cold water! Loved the jelly and sheepshead!
How are the entries there? Someday I'm gong to have to get out there to dive.

I guess I've been lucky enough never to have seen Lobos like that -- that looked like Puget Sound diving! But the huge school of fish was worth it. I couldn't tell what they were, do you know?

It was good to see one of your videos again. I hope you know that anybody who knows them, HAS to watch them to the end, to see what the rabbit will be doing!

Thanks Dan, honestly I had no idea, the juvies are so incredibly different from the adults that I always have a hard time identifying them.

The entry at Lobos is *almost* perfect. It's a paved boat ramp 10ft from the parking spots straight into a protected cove. We locals love to moan about how it's too slippery or too steep or doesn't go far enough when the tide is low, but really, it's incredibly convenient. Get out of your car, get into your gear, and you can be in the water in literally 10 steps.

Amen! Lobos is bliss. Plus there's something reassuring about the fact that if you're not checked out when they close you'll get a search party lookin' for you :sos:

Any tips for getting from Whaler's to Bluefish without a boat/doubles? Tried hugging the cliffs and surface swimming/cruising a few ft beneath the kelp at high tide, but by the time I reached Bluefish didn't have enough air left to actually dive there. Was thinking of waiting until winter, when storms sweep out the kelp, then just surface swim for all I'm worth.

That's why it seems as though all the divers in Monterey eventually get scooters. If there is anywhere I've ever dived where scooters were PERFECT, it's at Lobos.

<<Any tips for getting from Whaler's to Bluefish without a boat/doubles? Tried hugging the cliffs and surface swimming/cruising a few ft beneath the kelp at high tide, but by the time I reached Bluefish didn't have enough air left to actually dive there. Was thinking of waiting until winter, when storms sweep out the kelp, then just surface swim for all I'm worth.

Winter brings storms and huge waves/swells that make it unpassable around the rocks via shore diving. I have a small inflatable boat that I use for Point Lobos. I unroll it from the back of my truck, put on the 6hp motor, and go diving. Kayaks work, too. It is definitely worth it to get over to Bluefish Cove. I'm surprised that more of the BAUE folks don't trek over there.

Any tips for getting from Whaler's to Bluefish without a boat/doubles? Tried hugging the cliffs and surface swimming/cruising a few ft beneath the kelp at high tide, but by the time I reached Bluefish didn't have enough air left to actually dive there. Was thinking of waiting until winter, when storms sweep out the kelp, then just surface swim for all I'm worth.

Buy a kayak. I found mine on craigslist for $125

Thanks Dan, honestly I had no idea, the juvies are so incredibly different from the adults that I always have a hard time identifying them.

So true! The telltale marks on those guys is the "mascara" around the eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom