First dive after scuba certification dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lajoyce

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had an experience diving last weekend and was not sure what to make of it. I did my OW certification several years ago, then last fall, I took a refresher with an instructor in a pool then the following week took the AOW certification. I did my AOW at a quarry through a local dive shop that does many classes there. No other dives after that. On the weekends when the shop goes to the quarry, you can pay to be brought along with transportation, rental gear, weights, tanks, and entrance taken care of, then dive the quarry at your leisure. I thought this would be an enjoyable way to do some more diving nearby, so I signed up. When I was signing up, I explained my experience and what I was looking for and asked about buddies since I was going by myself. The guy at the shop assured me I'd have no problem with buddies since others had signed up for the same thing, and worst case scenario I could tag along with a class's checkout dives.

So the day to dive rolls around, and we're heading to the quarry. An instructor informs me that there are 4 of us diving "for fun". The other divers are me, one experienced couple, and a guy who I happened to sit next to on the bus ride there, who I am suggested to pair up with. To get started, we could stick with the instructor's group for a dive along with his class to one of the wrecks. The guy I'm buddied up with tells me he has never dove this quarry, which is cold, and has never dove cold water at all. He did OW and 4 more dives on a fairly recent vacation. So we listen to the instructor's briefings, get geared up and all head down to the water together. I talk to my buddy about our plan (same as the class's), hand signals, etc. So far everything seems ok.

Then we surface swim out to a buoy, and on the way my buddy tells me he's never used a dive computer, so he doesn't know how to use the one on his console. He didn't take sufficient weight for a 7mm suit and can't go down. The class goes ahead with their dive and we're on the surface still. We swim back to the shore so my buddy can get more weight. He comes back with, and while we're on the platform, chest-deep in water, I'm ready to go but he's putting on fins, he steps off the platform, no fins on yet. I see one of his fins start to sink so I grab it, then I notice he's not staying afloat and I tell him to inflate his BC, but he seems to be panicking and doesn't do it. I grabbed his inflator and put air in then I shove it in his hand and he presses it. But he's still sinking. I grab him and pull then push him back onto the platform. He tells me it was inflated all the way but he was overweighted and still sinking. So he needs to get rid of some weights, but only had big weights so he had to go back up to get different ones. While he goes to get weights, a DM from the class we intended to follow initially is on the platform and I tell him what's going on. He agreed to help for a bit and take us down while his class took a while to all come up and reassemble.

My buddy gets more appropriate weighting, the DM takes us down without issue, swims with us to a couple of "wrecks" then heads out, we continue our dive, finish, go for safety stop, buddy can't hold the safety stop and floats to the surface, I finish the 3 mins. We surface swim back, talk about what happened, get back to the group tables, buddy talks to the DM for a bit. We eat lunch, take a break, sit with the class groups, then get ready for another dive. I knew the features in the quarry, confirmed them with the DM, told them to my buddy who said he'd do whatever I wanted, and did that dive with no issues at all, buddy held his safety stop, no weight problems. Throughout, my buddy sticks close to me and we frequently check on each other, our air, etc. On the surface swim back, I told my buddy that after a break I wanted to do one more very close, shallow dive, since we had the air and there were fish/plants on the quarry slope at like 20ffw. We get back to the platform and my buddy realizes he's lost his mask because it was on his head during the surface swim. He's done diving for the day. There was nobody for me to do that small dive with, and I did wish I could do it alone but that seemed wrong and I didn't do it.

At the end of the day the instructor asked me how it was diving with him and I adopted a sort of jovial tone and said I only had to save my buddy from drowning once, so I don't know if that was taken seriously or not, and I don't know if I was serious or not. The instructor asked what I did for the second dive and I described it to him and he said that was a good dive. The buddy wanted to swap contact info for future trips like this, and after much, "uhhhh" on my part he insisted on facebook friending me, so I let him, but I don't plan dive with him. So yeah, I'm not sure what to take away from this experience. It wasn't what I expected from the day. I was initially frustrated and even angry at the buddy's lack of planning/considerations. I think I assumed I was going to end up with someone more experienced than me. But obviously this was a different experience than if I just followed around someone who could handle themselves very well.

Don't dive with the guy again. Personally I would have done the dive after he lost his mask but to each their own. He sounds like the kind of guy that is more unsafe than diving alone (diving alone gets a bad rap anyway).

While it is fun diving with similarly experienced divers, at your stage, if available, I would recommend finding a mentor that would be willing to work with you and others of your experience level and willing assist you in improving your skills. I do this a lot with the new divers who join our shop and us on dives around the area. In my case, if they show enthusiasm and a willingness to listen, I am willing to mentor them. And it usually makes for much more enjoyable diving.

I am very indebted to several experienced divers (1,500 and 3,600 dives) who mentored me and put up with shorter dives and probably less challenging dives for them.

Hopefully you have some like minded experienced divers around. You don't say where you are from.

Terry

Good Job! I think you did a lot of good things. Especially for a guy that has less than 10 dives. I think you also did right by NOT doing the solo. You thought about it but, your intuition told you not to. You should trust those instincts they hardly ever tell you the wrong thing. You can always dive that lake and those shallows another day and solo when you have more exp like toddthecat.

As for your dive buddy you certainly don't have to o,r need to dive with him again. I think you should keep looking for other divers that have more exp. than you to learn from. You will find that people learn dive skills at very different paces. That guy might turn out to be a good diver with you help and others... then again he might not...

---------- Post added August 7th, 2013 at 04:50 PM ----------

While it is fun diving with similarly experienced divers, at your stage, if available, I would recommend finding a mentor that would be willing to work with you and others of your experience level and willing assist you in improving your skills. I do this a lot with the new divers who join our shop and us on dives around the area. In my case, if they show enthusiasm and a willingness to listen, I am willing to mentor them. And it usually makes for much more enjoyable diving.

I am very indebted to several experienced divers (1,500 and 3,600 dives) who mentored me and put up with shorter dives and probably less challenging dives for them.

Hopefully you have some like minded experienced divers around. You don't say where you are from.

Terry

This is exactly how I feel and how I did it. If you can find a good mentor...

I think it is not proper to judge new divers. Some divers mature faster than others, even after a few dives. Just get people of your skill to dive with. Better yet, find people who do it better so you can learn.

I would consider diving with him again.

He seems very new and I would blame his training more than him. Things like weights, holding a safety stop, and not losing your gear are things that he should have been taught in his OW class.

The fact that he did a second dive ok is a positive sign.

Whatever anybody says a handful of dives to get an OW/AOW certificate does not make a fully competent and trained diver especially if the skills are not regularly practised, embedded and muscle memory built up through time, practise and experience, so I think there are a couple of things going on here. The OP says he/she got OW several years ago and then did a refresher and AOW "last fall" so presumably 8 or 9 months ago. I assume for the OP that they haven't then dived since last fall. In this position I would guess that the OP went on this dive a little nervous/unsure of themselves to start with, and as commented late on in the post "expecting to be paired with a buddy with more experience".

What you found was a buddy with less experience, and possibly more unsure of themselves. I would recommend that you should just dive as much as possible and build up your own experience and confidence, you will be surprised how quickly many of the things you have to think about now become natural and "instinctive", I think you clearly have good instincts and have absorbed your training because you did the right things when your buddy had issues, so I think you should be pleased and proud of yourself for that.

I also think that your buddy probably wants to learn and improve - as witnessed by them letting you set the dive plan and following it for a reasonable/safe second dive. It is unfortunate they lost their mask, but that can happen to anyone, I'll bet they won't do it again.

Should you dive with them again? - I actually say why not, your buddy was obviously comfortable enough with (grateful for?) your help, and liked you enough to want to dive with you again. So as long as you make sure you discuss your collective limitations and make sure you factor these in to your diving there is no reason why this couldn't lead to a lasting partnership where you can learn and gain experience together. We all have to start somewhere.

If you are lucky enough to find a mentor - fantastic - learn all you can from them (and stand the beers after the dives !) but if like most people you have to make your own way, then diving with people you get on with and can work together with, and who you can talk things through with will work just as well in the long term.

Bottom line - it was a good learning experience, you handled it well, everyone surfaced safely, and you learned a lot from it I guess - so well done. Now get out and dive as much as possible and stay safe - have fun. P.

being a new diver myself, i would dive with him... it seems that after the first dive he pretty much settled for the second dive...

it could've just been nervousness of diving in a new environment that got to him... not everybody is equal... loosing a mask happens and he should learn to better secure it during a surface swim.

but all in all, he didn't threaten your safety and its clear that he learned as the second dive was much improved, and from what you described he wasn't that bad of a buddy...

being a buddy also means you can recommend to him that you both can dive with more experienced divers to improve the diving quality... dont just lock him off

I agree with most of the above. Sounds like he was inexperienced and not an idiot (except the mask). Big difference. Mentors are great, but just as great is a regular dive buddy at the same level. Sounds like if you invest a little here, you may get that. My RDB had issues early on, but now things work through telepathy and we got to the same level quickly. I hate diving with other buddies. I think the bigger lesson here is in imagining how bad an an instabuddy can be. This is minor along the full spectrum. Consider investing.

You handled the first dive well with your help. The second dive went well. I say give him another shot.

One thing to consider, if possible, is to meet him on dry land, and just talk about where you both are in your skill levels. Talk about dive one and ask what issues he had and why. Then you could talk about how you could help each other get more experience with some less challenging dives.

You could even plan on doing a shallow dive first to just work/check on skills and hand signals. Review the basics with each other and check proper weighting. After that, discuss it all during a surface interval, then go for a second dive for fun. He may just need some extra attention in the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom