Trip scheduled Oct 3-12, 2013 - Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone ever utilized the services of Patojo's Scuba Center? We have a group of 8 staying at The Tides on AC. I've seen several trip reviews on Trip Advisor...some great, some not so great. Any dive locations that would not be suitable for less experienced divers? Most of us are experienced with 60+ dives, but there are a couple who haven't dived in quite some time.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone ever utilized the services of Patojo's Scuba Center? We have a group of 8 staying at The Tides on AC. I've seen several trip reviews on Trip Advisor...some great, some not so great. Any dive locations that would not be suitable for less experienced divers? Most of us are experienced with 60+ dives, but there are a couple who haven't dived in quite some time.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I do not know Patojo. Most of the dive operators will pick up from any of the resorts close to town. Most resorts have a relationship with one of the operators and will be happy to book a dives for your through their operator. There are at least 25 shops on AC. There are a few big operators. I would actively avoid only one, Aqua Scuba. I usually dive with Island Divers as do several other frequent posters on this forum.

As far as sites. I would count all of the sites with the exception of Hol Chan as advanced intermediate sites. All of the diving is a little on the deep side. Other than hol chan, you can expect to exceed 50ft on every dive. If there is any mention of the tunnels, I would suggest asking if staying above the tunnel is an option especially for any less experienced divers. It is very possible to stay above the tunnel and follow the bubbles of the group and meet back up with them at the end. The tunnels are caves in the reef and can include overhead environments that go for hundreds of feet and can be almost completely dark at times. There are a lot of them and some shops will dive them and some do not. Do not feel compelled to do anything that you are not comfortable doing.

All of the diving in AC is fully guided for better or worse. Do not take this as an invitation to check you judgment at the door. Always check your air before submerging and always take a hard breath while watching for movement in your SPG before rolling off to confirm that you tank is indeed turned on. Continue to follow the buddy system even if it is not emphasized by your dive leader. Always dive a computer on AC. The second dive can easily get you into a decompression obligation if you are not careful. Overall remember that no matter how safety conscious the shop claims or is reported to be, everything is relative and you need ot always bee looking out for yourself.

Don't walk the beach after dark.

I agree with everything AMWIII said.
We visited in May and our first dives were all in the 80 foot range and the second dives were in the mid 60's.

We dove with Chuck & Robbie's. No complaints.

Don't walk the beach after dark.

Really? That's a shame. I hadn't noticed warnings about this until recently.

Is it the locals you have to be concerned about, crazy tourists or both?

Really? That's a shame. I hadn't noticed warnings about this until recently.

Is it the locals you have to be concerned about, crazy tourists or both?

From my limited understanding, it is mainlanders and it is just muggings. Nevertheless, I would not want to walk on isolated beaches at night. Use a water taxi or regular taxi on the way home at night.

I regularly walk the beach after dark by myself, but I am aware of known potential trouble spots and I am always aware of what's going on around me. I'm also not a small man. There have been a very few muggings or other attacks, but a little goes an awfully long way. As AWMIII says, mostly it's mainlanders who've come over here with the express intention of mugging and burgling. It is rare indeed for any weapons to be employed, and generally two adults together will be safe. No guarantees of course.

I was there in April. Stayed at the Tides and dove with Patajo. We did all our dives on the outer reef. He will do whatever you want him to do. I thought he was quite good. The Tides is not the Ritz Carlton but was just fine for us. We walked down the beach each night to and from dinner and did not have a problem. i don't know if that is typical or we were lucky, but there was no one we thought was threatening.

I regularly walk the beach after dark by myself, but I am aware of known potential trouble spots and I am always aware of what's going on around me. I'm also not a small man. There have been a very few muggings or other attacks, but a little goes an awfully long way. As AWMIII says, mostly it's mainlanders who've come over here with the express intention of mugging and burgling. It is rare indeed for any weapons to be employed, and generally two adults together will be safe. No guarantees of course.

you also do not look like a tourist.

You'd be amazed how many people take me for one.

Back
Top Bottom