if you find a camera, do you give it back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we had to really twist the guys arm to get him to give the camera back. He said when anything is in the sea it is always finders keepers... and other people at the dive shop agreed with him.

Think you need to find another dive shop.

Well, based on the concept of "salvage rights" (which may not apply to cameras), finders keepers... at least in the case of unmarked cameras where the owner could not be identified.

However, I would like to think that anyone with a sense of personal integrity would, upon learning the identity of the camera's owner, return it to them. If it happened to me, I'd offer a reward for returning it. If I found one, I'd try my hardest to identify the owner through posting on the local SCUBA diving boards. Often in the case of inexpensive cameras, the images and memories are priceless.

I find it amazing that keeping it would be considered. It become theft at that point.

Considering I've lost my camera twice now at the bottom of the ocean and had 2 different people return it to me I'd say if I find anything I'll do my best to find and return it to the rightful owner. Some kind of reward is always welcome but not necessary. Usually rewards in the form of drinks are quite well received.

I hope you find a better way to secure your camera while diving!

The DM is not only trash but should be reported to his agency. Unprofessional behavior, wannabe thief, poor role model, and just an all around turd. I would not leave my kids alone with him. They might end up sold into slavery. You may also want to tell him if he touches anything of yours he'll pull back a broken hand.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I know what its like to loose something and it sucks. No other way around it, I'd try to return it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

This is just tacky! If he didn't know who the owner was, well that's one thing. But here, he does. This reminds me of some of the stories over the years on Scubaboard where someone has found a camera and posted pictures on here, trying to find the owner. There was one case where the owner was hundreds of miles away, but the SB diver got the camera back to him. Now THAT's what I call a good diver!!

Back
Top Bottom