Which areas to dive in Sept or Oct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
Have 11 days (discluding flights to Phillipines), preferably in Sept but if Oct is way better, then Oct. Where do you think we should go?

We like action packed vacations and usually don't stay in one location too long. We are intermediate divers.

I was thinking Malaspascua for maybe 4 days. Then 7 days in either Dauin (with Apo Island and Siquijour) or Beliscag/Bohol (with Apo Island). What do you think?

Are we going to miss something special cause we're going in Sept/Oct at these locations? Did the typhoons ruin any of these places and are we running the risk of experiencing a typhoon? What phase of moon should we go during (one that doesn't have too strong currents but has lots of sealife)?

Thanks.

The weather can be bad in both sept ad oct but better in south ppines than north. It's unpredictable, u may have sun the whole time but maybe overcast whole time. It is in the cyclone belt so they can occur whenever. I wouldn't be too put off by the weather. I went Boracay once in August and it didn't rain once in 3 weeks but went again in April and it rained a lot so things vary.

If you have 11 days incl flying means really 8 days diving, maybe 9. Would stick to 2 places close by max, u probably won't go too wrong with any of those places. And currents there aren't too bad though cant comment on apo and siquijor. Marine life is good down there regardless though some coral damages. If you were going a bit later in yr would suggest southern Leyte.

Thanks pughio83.

It sounds like I could end up getting caught in a full on typhoon that can endanger my life, even if I stick to the areas I'm talking about.

Is that right?

Boy, we've already eliminated a million locations. I'm not sure where to go if we don't go to the Phillipines.

I think you will be fine in October. Typhoons etc run June to nov but doesn't mean every year they have them. Visayas like Bohol and Malapascua r more protected than north and usually wet season which peaks in July August has petered out somewhat. But it can still rain at anytime but don't let that bother u. I was in Leyte in April and it rained 75% of time but diving was great! I think if u go oct it is more likely to be dry but don't hold me to that!

Thanks pughio83.

It sounds like I could end up getting caught in a full on typhoon that can endanger my life, even if I stick to the areas I'm talking about.

Is that right?

No that's not right - what he said was that actually typhoon could happen anytime of year so don't worry about planning your trip around them.

If there does happen to be a typhoon, and you do happen to be directly in the path of it, your life will only be in danger if you do something stupid like go stand under a coconut tree, go on and overloaded public ferry, or anything else that common sense would dictate to be stupid in a typhoon.

More than likely you'll have a great trip at any time of year. So stop worrying about it and just go and enjoy it!

---------- Post added July 17th, 2013 at 05:48 PM ----------

ps - I don't recommend standing under a coconut tree even when there's not a typhoon. More people killed every year by falling 'nuts than by sharks :-D

[h=3]:D
Shark Myth #3: Deadly Coconuts[/h]Whenever there is a series of shark attacks, news stories are invariably accompanied by some statistical comparison that shows some unlikely method of dying is actually more likely than being attacked by a shark. One that has cropped up repeatedly over the years is that more people are killed by falling coconuts every year than by sharks -- usually 150 is the number cited. No reference is ever given for this statistic, and it's actually false.

You may not be surprised to find out that no one issues annual reports of coconut deaths. There is no "International Coconut Mortality Journal." In fact, no one really keeps track of coconut deaths at all. A survey of medical literature reveals only a few reports of coconut-related injuries (Best, chapter one). The statistic is an urban legend.

Thanks guys. I think it'll have to be mid to late sept now unfortunately but hopefuly since peak is in aug, the diving should still be fine and I should be safe - sounds like it will be.

Hello HeeHee62,
diving in the Philippines is great all year round. I have been now several times of the year in the Philippines and the weather is really unpredictable as you heard already. If you like to combine two places, which i would recommend to you as well during your stay, maybe you like to check out sea explorers. They offer island hopping and you can combine two different destinations on a dive trip. You do one dive, and when you come up you will be transferred onto another boat of them which takes you to the new destinations. Super convinient and you dont loose a day of diving. If you go to Malapascua, i fell in love with Ocean Vida Resort, they have the dive center of Sea Explorer right next to it. There are other places in Malapascua of course, but that was number one for me after staying there a few times.
If you made your choice which two destinations you like to combine, let me know here and i can recommend you some places as i have been travelled through the Visayas all the time. Good luck and one thing is sure, You choosed the right destination - The Philippines!

How about a stop in Moalboal for a few days when your on your way down to Dauin?

Its a small little place with a lot of sea life, they even have a massive school of Sardines swimming around.
I was there in June and i dived with Neptune Diving Adventure and they were great. the guide show me a lot of things i haven't seen before like jumping thresher shark =)

If I had 11 days of diving around the Visayas... I'd do at least 4 days in Malapascua, 2 days Moalboal, 2 days Dumaguete, give or take the 3 days for travel time.

Typhoon? Just skip the dive in case you got caught in one. It's always fun to hang out with other divers even on dry land. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom