What do you do with your keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been leaving my key inside my gas tank door. I also watched a buddy bury his near a tree near our entry point. If I was to go to a high crime area and dive from the beach I would get one of those magnetic boxes that you can hide under your fender. You can get them at places like Autozone for about five dollars. A valet key would be best but that is difficult for me because I'm in Germany.

So far, I've just hidden my car keys somewhere on or close to the car, but I haven't felt totally comfortable with that. And my car has an electronic fob which definitely doesn't like water. Salt water even less. I don't want to carry the fob underwater inside my drysuit, I've had neck seal leaks before... :banghead:

Some new key fobs have sensors prohibiting you from locking them inside your car or the trunk. Has anyone had any success in "shielding" the sensors somehow so you can lock the (damn) things inside?

I just checked my car, a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander. Although it has a fob like that, the mechanical key bypasses the electronic central lock. This means that I can lock all the doors and the trunk with the fob, take out the mechanical key, unlock the front door, put the fob inside the car and lock the front door with the key.

--
Sent from my mobile. Typos are a feature, not a bug.

I I have an electronic key but I had a standard key cut for it as well which will open the door. I then hide the keys in my car and attach the std key onto a lock ring on my BCD shoulder D ring. Wife does as well. As others said if you can't get a std key cut to open the door, then use a waterproof container. If you are having problems finding a good quality cheap one, you can use an old dive torch without batteries in it, they are a quality waterproof container.

Yeah I did something similar, I took an old key and removed the immobiliser and remote fob so I've just got the steel key to open the door and I can leave my immobiliser keys in the car. My 3mm suit has a key pocket inside it, if I'm diving in my 7mm I leave the key in my speedos.

There is another option........:gas:

aquacar.jpg
T

One thing I do not understand.
If you use a valet/non-electronic key to lock/unlock your door and hide the electronic key inside, how do you set your alarm system?

I lock the door with the lock button on all my Hondas and Acuras and this sets the alarm also. No need to have the fob to activate the alarm. My oldest is a 2002 and the newest is 2010.

I thought that on newer cars with keyless ignitions, the valet key *is* the fob. The mechanical key only opens the door and (more importantly) the glovebox.

Does anyone know if the Hitch Safes or something similar come in a smaller size? Standard for my model car is a 1-1/4" receiver.

I've only seen them come in the one size that fits standard trucks.

My solution is pretty low tech. I usually hide keys in wheel well of my car or somewhere under a rock if I can find one.

Alternatively, drysuit undergarment pockets.

My friend was shore diving with a group of other divers in Maine last year. Someone must have been watching them stash their keys because everyone's car was opened and anything of value (GPS, phone, wallet) was removed.

I lock my truck and either take the key with me or give it to someone I trust who is sitting out the dive. I might get a HitchSafe. I saw one a few weeks ago and the owner really liked it.

I use a demo key attached to a standard bolt snap with line a little heavier than cave line so it does not flop around as much. Very
little slack between bolt snap and key, but a little. I clip the bolt snap with key to BC upper D-Ring and stash the electronic key in
the trunk. Trunks get broken into less frequently than the cars interior, I think ?

My car has a demo key with no electronics (looks like a key blank) that only opens the door. The next key up has electronics and will
start the car but not access glove box or trunk, I believe they are calling this one the valet key. Then of course the everyday key that
does it all.

In a shoe buried with all the other crap in the bed of my truck, usually. At our local scuba parks I don't think anybody locks their vehicles. It's Texas, so we're pretty well armed...thievery at the dive park wouldn't be a good idea. :comeandgetsome:

Places that aren't as secure/friendly: in a dry pouch around my wife's neck.

Both approaches have always gotten us back in the truck/jeep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom