How long after birth back to diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4sdi

Contributor
Reaction score
!!!!!WARNING MAN ON DECK!!!!!

Sorry to poke my head in here with all yall gals,,,

My wife, Sabrina, asked me to send in a question for her.
She gave birth to our first son on Feb 20. She is wondering about how soon she can get back to diving. We've looked at the threads about lactation and such, but she is thinking about, well, you know, the "other stuff down there". We would ask the doctor, but he told us 9 months ago that he dinna know much about diving. She had a great pregnancy, no complications and a problem free delivery (albiet loooooonng).

Any suggestions, comments or stories?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark and Sabrina

PS a friend said, "as soon as you can find a babysiter" :)

Here's a link to a DAN Q&A on the topic - http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=104

I've got a diving friend who is currently pregnant. She's been very fortunate to have a midwife who's a diver. The advise that she got was that once she's healed and ok'd to have sex, she's also good to dive. (She doesn't plan on breastfeeding so that's not an issue for her.)

You might want to call DAN and find a doctor in your area who knows about diving. Even if they're not an OB-GYN, it would be worth a consultation to get the facts straight.

Congratualtions to you and your wife!

Congradulations on the birth of your son.

I agree with your friend. Thats one thing that keeps us dry. (The lack of a sitter)

Best wishes for a happy parent hood.

TwoBit

My wife's doctor cleared her fairly quickly (within a couple of months). She was back in with no problems at 5 months.

If you're vacation diving, you might consider a nanny. We did when we went to Grand Cayman, and were extraordinarily pleased with the results.

Congratulations on the new baby. BTW, Feb. 20 is my birthday as well.

k4sdi once bubbled...
!!!!!WARNING MAN ON DECK!!!!!
Sorry to poke my head in here with all yall gals,,,

I guess I should mention that this was originally posted in the womens only section.........

........ Or you could just think I was the villiage idiot. Most people do! :)

Mark

You may want to go swimming with her for a few weeks after she's healed and her endurance is built up, then, I'd say as soon as you get a babysitter! I was counting SECONDS until my other half could dive again after our daughter was born.

-Dennis

Oh wow... I was perusing around the board and found this thread... Guess what? That little booger from this thread that changed our diving habits and lives forever 10 years ago? Yea, he just got Jr open water certified two weeks ago.

WHOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled conversations,,, I'll try not to dig up anymore 10 year old threads <grin>

4 more years until i might have a little buddy too!

We often grinch at people who revive dead threads -- but this time, I think it's totally cool! Congratulations on your home-grown dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom