Advice to new divers: Never buy a integrated VELCRO only BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because Tusa didn't invent velcro...

But, they * did * invent the design that relied on it solely to support lead weight with no backup fastener.
---------- Post added July 22nd, 2013 at 02:58 PM ----------
Also, there is nothing that makes integrated weights more easy to use or safer. In fact, removing integrated weights is probably more difficult than a simple weight belt. Bearing in mind that even a poorly trained monkey could do either one, I certainly would say it is less of a selling point for ease of use or safety rather than simple convenience.
Not safer, perhaps, however, I've always found integrated easier to use, at least for the Zeagles, ScubaPros, and TransPacs that I've owned, for multiple reasons. But, that's simply a matter of personal opinion, and approach.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Panama Jones, my bcd with integrated weight pockets has a few hundred dives on it, and still works like new (frankly still looks relatively new too). Take care of your gear and it will take care of you.

Weightbelts last a whole lot longer than 110 dives. Try a few thousand and you're getting warm.

Velcro simply degrades.

Tusa's designs in general are 'bad' IMO. Everything seems to need deidcated TUSA tools.

I stand corrected

My Zeagle Escape is 9 years old and still going strong with the foolproof rip-cord system. It uses Velcro on the cummerbund which is backed up with a clip-belt and Velcro for the band holding inflator hose to the shoulder strap.

Using Velcro for a critical function like holding weights is bad design and says something about the brand. I'm sure you're not the only one with this failure and if they repair yours they'd have to repair them all.

I am not a fan of Velcro for holding weight pouches in on weight integrated BC's. The Velcro does loose its holding ability over time and use especially if using a lot of weight.

That being said I have also seen multiple cases of clip style weight pouches falling out, mostly in OW classes. Most of those failures were due to operator error on the divers part because they did not get the weight pouch clip properly clipped into the clip on the BC, some BC's have the clips on the inside of the BC pocket where it is a feel and hear the clips lock together. When they got horizontal in the water the pouch would fall out because it was not fully clipped in.

In this regard Velcro is better than clip style pouches. You don't have to worry about getting the clips clipped together, just put the pouch in the BC and press the Velcro flap onto it mate on the BC and give it a good rub to secure it.

The problem is velcro and water don't mix. It was a very poor design. Teva sandals had the same problem. They were fine till you used them in the river.

Just don't get your B.C. wet and it will work fine.:D

That being said I have also seen multiple cases of clip style weight pouches falling out, mostly in OW classes. Most of those failures were due to operator error on the divers part because they did not get the weight pouch clip properly clipped into the clip on the BC, some BC's have the clips on the inside of the BC pocket where it is a feel and hear the clips lock together. When they got horizontal in the water the pouch would fall out because it was not fully clipped in.

I wonder if these people can also operate a seatbelt in a car? A little attention to detail when setting up gear and when getting in to the equipment usually means a stress-free dive. Rushing (or getting rushed) makes for a cluster IME.

Same with weight belt buckles through.

BTW With velcro holding weights, I'm actually surprised it made it to 110 dives. I'll be happy if my $400 plastic clipped integrated BCD does.

Amendment - that came out wrong. I guess I'm saying 110 dive on velcro integrated weight pouches doesn't seem unexpected. I think that by the time you did that with a weight belt, you would have at the very least replace the webbing but most likely the whole belt. And by 110 dives, I'd probably have some strain on the plastic clips of my pouches and will have bought new pouches.

The faulty part is not the BCD, but that it is more difficult to replace the velcro. Honestly, I think that based on our understanding of velcro, we would know at purchase time how it holds up to sonstant sticking and pulling while being soaking wet. No insult intended.

Exactly why would you need to replace a weight belt after 110 dives? I have weight belts that are decades old and though I don't have 100s of dives on them I know for a fact previous owners did.

That said, I agree there's no reason to expect velcro to last at all. The rate of failure is going to depend upon several things, including how much weight is loaded in the pockets and how often the pockets are actually removed and replaced.

EDIT: Any weight system can fail. Weight belts come unbuckled or sag and fall, clip weight systems can become unclipped, especially if not clipped well to begin with and of course velcro fails. The only "fool proof" weight system is no weights, which only works for a very limited subset of divers.

My concern is that TUSA says they can't do anything about it. While it may not be cost effective for the consumer to pay for a modification for fix the problem (actually a safety problem - CPSC anyone?), they should at least be able to offer design/modification to fix it.

My concern is that TUSA says they can't do anything about it. While it may not be cost effective for the consumer to pay for a modification for fix the problem (actually a safety problem - CPSC anyone?), they should at least be able to offer design/modification to fix it.

Why? The product hasn't been made in a few years, it's out of warranty and it's probably cost prohibitive to the consumer to provide a service replacement/repair option. If they offered a trade in option or something (which they might do, I don't know) that would be better for the company though probably not the consumer. They are in the business of making money, after all and dive companies are supposedly on razor thin margins already. Supporting bad products that are out of their lifecycle is generally not a good way of making money.

I wonder how many BCD manufacturers created Velcro only BCD's with no clip other than TUSA?

I'm going to be the odd man out here but I like my Oceanic Islander velcro weight pockets. 150 + dives and functions flawlessly. But I am anal about caring for my equipment and I rarely need more than 3 pounds in each pocket. That alone probably makes a big difference. The BCD's I've seen with clips seem awkward and like they would be difficult to remove under stress. But I think the clip or some other type of closure would be needed with heavier weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom