Copy and original? - Two versions of DMW-MCTZ30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandroTB

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm new to this board....actually I'm also new to itself diving..... well, currently it will be only snorkeling but who knows what the future brings.

Since I have already the Panasonic DMC-TZ30, I'm planning to buy the DMW-MCTZ30 housing and start taking under water photos soon. Now as I started to search the web for this housing I found two different versions of it, which are both sold under the same name! Therefore I was wondering if Panasonic produced two versions or if one is a copy from the original.... I don't wanna buy a copy which might not be as good as the original.
To show you what I mean with different versions please have a look to this online shop:

Panasonic DMW-MCTZ30 - Winkels en Prijzen

You see that the first one is different than the most others. Does anyone know the story behind those different housings?

Many thanks for any hint!!

Cheers,
Sandro

The first one is almost certainly a wrong photo. As far as I am aware there is only one housing made by Panasonic and it is the one with a hot shoe.

---------- Post added July 20th, 2013 at 03:18 AM ----------

If you click on the top housing, it takes you to another site where if you click to magnify the photo it shows you the correct housing on two other photos!

The photo of the wrong housing also doesn't show the movie button on the top. I think there was an earlier model where the movie button was on the back. I think it was the TZ10. So the photo could be for the TZ10 housing.

---------- Post added July 20th, 2013 at 03:36 AM ----------

If you are new to diving, I would suggest you hold back on taking a camera when diving until you have gained some experience.

Concentrate on buoyancy control and perhaps think about taking some courses. Enjoy the many aspects of diving and think about taking a camera only after you get to a stage when you are so comfortable that the skills are second nature to you.

Trust me - you will enjoy diving a lot more, get better pictures, be safer and be better for the environment this way!

Hi Greenjuice

Thanks a lot for your post. Indeed you point out the correct differences of the housings:

- Button for recording a movie
- Hot shoe

So I have to make sure to find the right (original) housing...

About your comment about waiting to buy this camera since I'm new to diving, I have to agree completely. I I would be new to diving I would agree.... the thing is, that I actually don't dive at all and don't plan to start with it soon. I currently only do snorkeling and that will be where I will use the camera.

Cheers,
Sandro

It is a common mistake for webshops to use the wrong photo of the wrong UW housing on their site. Especially with the Panasonic and Canon housings, which tend to look very much alike for the different models in the same family. I think it is safe to order one, even though the wrong picture is displayed. With these housings, it's all about the typenumber that is on the site. As long as that is correct, you'll almost certainly get the right housing. And even if not: return it and order the correct one:).

Hey Koksie,

Thanks for your opinion..... I ordered the housing, but from a webshop with the correct photos. Let's see what I will get!

Cheers,
Sandro

Just to finish this thread, I got the correct housing and I'm really looking forward to use it in two weeks in Crete.... :)

Cheers,
Sandro

Nice Sandro, thanks for the update and enjoy the housing! Post some results when you're back, will be fun to see what you came up with!

Hey Koksie,

Yes I will do that.... I'm also curious what I will achieve, considering that I will do only snorkeling and that I'm an absolute beginner in underwater photography...

Cheers,
Sandro

Back
Top Bottom