The 8th Annual Florida Keys Dive Trip "One Week Underwater"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
MY 4 buddies and I will be returning to the Keys for our annual summer dive trip. In this blog I will give a daily report of with whom we dive and where we dive. We will have 6 full days of diving in which we have 29 dives scheduled. That is why its called "One Week Underwater." This is our plan. I will include pics and short vid clips when possible.

Wed July 17 - Innerspace Dive Center (First time with Company) - AM double dip the Bush/ PM reefs
July 18 - Conch Republic Divers (Repeat Customers - Big fans of this company) - AM double SG / PM reefs/ 2 tank twi/night dive
July 19 - Capt. Hooks (Repeat Customer) - AM double on the Thunderbolt /PM reefs
July 20th CRD - AM Double Eagle / PM reefs/ night dive on Eagle
July 21 CRD - BIBB/Duane/ PM reefs
July 22nd CRD BIBB/Duane / PM reefs/ 2 tank twi/night dive

Every year we have been doing more and more dives. We also have been doing a winter trip in December the last two years. Can't get enough of the KEYS. I am glad my donation to NOAA caused the storm to break up. I gave a little extra to ensure clear skies and smooth seas.

Here is a link to footage shot this past Dec. Grouper eats Barracuda Key Largo 12-15-12 - YouTube

I look forward to sharing our trip.

Hey everyone,

Well one day down. Up in Key Largo we woke up to pouring rain. Kept the spirit alive and headed to Innerspace Dive Center in Big Pine Key. Got there and the rain had subsided. John at Innerspace was very cool and they were well organized and on top of things. Small boat (as expected) the engine ran great and no fumes (gas outboard). First two were DD on the Busch wreck. Seas were solid 3 to 4 on the way out. Wreck to ourselves. Drop on the stern and headed forward. Lots of swim thru and penetration available on this wreck. No real current to speak of. Vis was a generous 30 to 40. First dive did some light penetration on the wheel house and circumnavigated the ship. Second dive did the cargo holds, the engine room, smoke stack and wheel house. Was greeted by Goliath Grouper at the entrance of the engine room. He split in a hurry. All in all enjoyed the wreck and the beginning of our adventure.

PM trip was to Looe reef. Reef was in good shape very little current to none. Vis was 20 to 30 ft. Got better as the sun came out. First dive had nice swim thru but the highlight was a 4 foot reef shark that swam with us for about 15 to 30 seconds. Second dive was typical stuff, reef fish with a couple of snook and Tarpon mixed in.

All in all a good day. Happy to be in the Keys with my buddies. Living the Dream.

Thursday is with our friends at Conch Republic Diving. DD on SG, two reefs in the PM and then a double night dive. Man this awesome. 4 down 25 to go. Stay tuned.

Will post video of the shark tomorrow.

Thnx for posting

Great reports so far. Hope the SG is nice and calm with great viz.

Second day brief:

Thursday was with CRD. Woke up again to rain with some thunder and lightning mixed in. Get to Conch Republic and weather cleared up enough to head out. Double dip on SG was scheduled for AM. Get out in I say solid 3 to 4 foot seas. Drop on the SG and are met with 40 is foot viz with med current. Two of mu buddies stay on the outside of the wreck. I take the other two and run the hallways of the upper deck. We start on the Port side by the crane house. Run the hallway on the left back to Snoopy and the forward most room with the table. Then run snoopy hallway to starboard side and exit that hallway to the aft of the top deck. Goliath Grouper spotted in normal place off the ship. Upon exit we learn that it has been lightning and that we are going to move to Duane where there is sun shinning. Head over and I am surprised to see the Spree on the ball. Well current was ripping but water was blue. WE did not stay, we moved to Conch Wall for a drift but there was no current. We decided to hit the wall anyway. My buddies saw 4 Eagle Rays throughout the dive. I did not. But I did conformation from others so I knew the were not messing with me. Did find a nice titanium knife.

Head back in for quick turn around PM. trip. Learn that we are headed to Coral Restoration spot and then Pickels. Well we get out there and skies are sunnier then they have been all day. Seas vary between 1 and 4 ft. I have to say the coral nursery is cool but after 10 minutes it got old. We did see one stingray but that was about it. Now, don't take this the wrong way I think this is a very important effort however, for a boat full of divers I do not think it was a good spot. I did see many divers traversing through the coral. Pickles was ok as well maybe 30 -40 ft vis. Surge was up.

Got back on boat to find out that our Twi/night dives had already been cancelled. Little confusing since the seas and weather were calming down. I guess Captain knows best. I have to say the Captain (Adrian and DM Kurt) were very cool and laidback.,

Will post Friday soon.

Hey man thanks for posting this, I'm heading out to do a keys tour this coming Thursday.
PS that shark in the video is beautiful

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom