Beware of French Lady

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat, that would be perfect for the "You know you're a Cozumel diver when..." thread!

About a week ago, during the washing machine that was Palancar Caves, I took out my slate, wrote Welcome to March! and showed it to a favorite divemaster. He agreed emphatically.

There've been strong and unusual-for-July currents on my dives, pretty consistently, ever since.
We didn't have the squirrelly currents in March, but it seems they might be here now.

Posted this on Facebook yesterday on surface interval between Barracuda and San Juan:
An E-ticket ride of a dive on Barracuda this morning! Bubbles went up a foot, then made a full-body veil on the way back down. Beautiful flight, breakfast at Playa Azul... Look out San Juan! Here we come!!

San Juan was singing, too, so we enjoyed another fast and fun tour. So busy playing in the current that I didn't even hear my usual Pink Floyd "Learning to Fly" performance as we passed above the finger coral carpet.

Before the briefing at Barracuda, the capi had said there was little-to-no current, maybe slightly south. Near the end of the briefing, I glanced up at him, and he gave the arm signal for STRONG current and indicated north.

So, welcome to March. Enjoy the rides!

Ahhh....I heard rumors about an insane group of divers who dove Barracuda that morning. You know you are a Cozumel diver when you have seen an ill equipped diver in split fins get blown around Barracuda like a leaf on a windy day. You might also qualify if you insist on using a magnifying glass to look for the small stuff even when the current is too strong for it to matter...I really admire the persistence. Based on the unconfirmed rumors I heard, I could add a few more examples, but I do not want to get too carried away while back state side on a Monday.

Ahhh....I heard rumors about an insane group of divers who dove Barracuda that morning. You know you are a Cozumel diver when you have seen an ill equipped diver in split fins get blown around Barracuda like a leaf on a windy day. You might also qualify if you insist on using a magnifying glass to look for the small stuff even when the current is too strong for it to matter...I really admire the persistence. Based on the unconfirmed rumors I heard, I could add a few more examples, but I do not want to get too carried away while back state side on a Monday.

C'mon Frank! You were in a better position to "hear" said rumors than almost anyone else around... Dish! Besides, my cheeks are hurting a little from persistent smiling over the post above. What a fun, fun morning that was! I wish you'd been on the scene a little longer. We were trying to get a boat up to explore a couple of other sites in the north....

And condolences on your current location to the far north. Did you guys get well? When are you headed back down here?

Just for the record, the magnifying glass made everything look bigger and faster.....:D

Yes, now if you were talking about Tunich, or Tormentos...have had some rocket rides there. But have also had slow easy currents at both them and Francesa. And have to go with Mike, why should the current cause you to suck air faster than normal? If its a rocket ride, ride it, dont fight it! One of my wifes favorite dives are the faster current dives, says she feels like she is flying.

To hear from the left side would be great but impossible! Today I heard a second hand rumor about a very strange ginger diver who glows in the dark when exposed to more than an hour of direct sun light. Does such a thing exist? Surely, not. When I make it back could depend on how things go this week. A wise guitar playing hippy who loves bulk candy correctly stated that hours exist everywhere. It was a true statement. I also might just make it back sooner than later if an open spot exists on the right boat that is headed to the Polar Express. Anyone interested?

Instant heart attack scenario.
Nah... The nurse shark is copacetic unless you're a dead fish or stick your hand in its mouth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 99
Nah... The nurse shark is copacetic unless you're a dead fish or stick your hand in its mouth.

Well, sure. After you get past:

1. Holy Shiitake Mushroom!!! What the He- Double hockey stick is that coming at me at mach 2.
2. What the Fahrvergnügen, that's a SHARK and it is MOVING.
3. CHECK FIRE, CHECK FIRE!! Its a Nurse shark, it's a friendly.

and continue dive....

And from that picture, I am guessing you reek of lionfish.....

---------- Post added August 4th, 2013 at 04:19 PM ----------

By the way I always wanted to give a nurse shark a lil peck on the cheek...

[youtubehq]U9Fc-TvUdwk[/youtubehq]

Who? MEEEE????
Oh yeah. Guess I neglected to mention DON'T STICK YOUR LIPS IN THE SHARK'S MOUTH either!

Chief, you should appreciate this. Went to the marine park's presentation at the Museo Friday night. Whole thing was in Spanish. "Wait! I know that word!"
I did learn some things, and the lionfish treats that La Perlita served after were muy riquisimo! Empanadas, sopes, and a lionfish cabbage roll that was amazing.

I guess anybody can be surprised by a shark. Have you seen this video of Jim Abernethy, West Palm, Fla shark guy? Massive Mako Shark Surprises Diver and Blue Marlin! - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom