Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there is no viz and one cannot dive the rivers then one must go OFFSHORE CAROLINA. You realize of course that on some days we have EXCELLENT diving offshore with dead flat clear blue water that includes barracuda and dolphins just to name a couple of critters. Check out these video clips I took offshore Carolina on a GREAT day!

I don't think some people realize how outstanding the diving can be offshore Carolina. Drop me a line anytime you wanna jump a boat, go offshore, and sink into the deep blue ocean.

Thanks for the invite Lee. Jumping off in the clear blue ocean 50 to 100 miles out is something I have yet to do. But one day soon I DO plan to take on. Wreak diving and Spear fishing I want to at least try. Probable have to get my Nitrox Cert. in order to enjoy the deeper sights and that's OK. For 25 years I have enjoyed diving the rivers and shallow ocean waters from S.C. to Fla. I plan to retire sometime next year so Blue water is on the agenda. In the mean time I'm wishing for the rivers to clear up and the waters to slow down.

Joe just let me know when you,re ready. Looks like the only place now is the Cooper the Edisto is way out of it,s banks. Don,t know when it,ll start receding. When you get a chance send me your phone number I lost it last year when I took my cell diving.

If ya wanna do some excellent blue water, in my opinion, Joe, we can blow down to Pompano or Boynton Beach. Two miles offshore and the water is stunningly beautiful. HUGE reefs. LOTS of critters. Or we can jump on the BIG Newton dive boat parked in Murrells inlet. (GREAT up-top bridge!). We can use air. No problem there. Boynton is a drift so just hang high if you are on air. If we do a shipwreck we will just stay off the bottom most of the time. You do know there is a civil war shipwreck off the coast. I would enjoy re-visiting and finding some more gun parts and medicine bottles. Oh well, enough of my old rants.

Diving Venice last month only served to make me hungry for more

Thanks Phil! A couple of friends and I went a week ago in the Cooper and the Vis was the pits. About 8" to a ft. and the out going current was ripping. We were talking about maybe trying the Wando. Have you heard anything about it?

Joe I have heard lots of claims of excellent shark tooth finds in the Wando. I dove it above Hwy41 and found about 20 feet of water and a glued in gravel bottom. Did not roam much because the diver with me was a beginner and I did not want to run off from him. Looked promising

A couple years ago, I took a trip down to a small town in Mexico, Rio Verde. The dive site is a cone shaped thermal hot spring called Media Luna. Call it 95' deep in the center and 85 degrees year round with Carib vis.

The shop owner had a room full of what he found. The big find was a complete mastodon skull.

VERY cool place to dive.

Well since the water Vis is so bad I might as well post some Pic's of a few Fossils. MUSEUM AND MY COLLECTION 141.jpgPicture 001.jpgThe first is a fossil of a Muskoxen , I thought for a long time was Bison, and pic 2 is a 27" Mastodon tusk found by a friend right by my boat anchor. Just my Luck he go's down anchor line and I free drop, but glad someone I know found it.

Sorry the pipe wasn't suppose to be there.

Attachments

• DSC00614.jpg
    DSC00614.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 180
I have seen you post that Mastodon tusk before. I am glad you re-posted it. Its a great find. Sometimes we focus on the smaller things and don't look closely at the larger things, which is a mistake. I make myself look closely at the large things now days. No way to tell how much I have just passed up

By the way, I guess you heard Carl Naylor retired.

On a different note, I finally found the origin of the "stoneware jugs" that come out of the Cooper river. It seems some divers first found them in the 60's. Its in this article

http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/sciaa/mrd/documents/mepkin.pdf

----------------------

on a different topic,

did you see the gold coins in the news the man claims to have found at Wabasso Beach Florida? Whether his claim is true or not the coins are real and stunningly beautiful. They are in mint condition, which makes me suspicious from the get go. valued at about 250k. from the Spanish fleet of 1715

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom