Bira, Sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Pughio83

well this week we have had ghost pipefish, frogfish, lots of nudibranchs of all varieties, mantis shrimps, orangutan crabs, cuttlefish mating, leaf scorpionfish to name a few. there is pigmy seahorses too, but i cant find them, the local DM's are friends with them! It isnt muck diving so the really weird isnt around. though we are exploring some new volcanic sand bays around 30km away hoping to find some.I would compare macro hear to lots of Bali.

For the bigger stuff yes we have hammers and bulls. July to September the cold upwelling waters bring awesome visibility, water around 22-25c and lots of bigger fish. Around Kambing Island nearly everyday there is something. Though we cant plan a dive to see hammerheads for example. We can plan a dive to Kambing and its very likely we will see something fun. Last year (I can only base it on that as it was my fist year here) we saw hammers, bulls, whalesharks, marble rays, mantas, mola-mola, threshers, grey reef, one tiger, marble rays. Not all on one dive! but throughout those colder water months. They are for more advanced divers though (experience deeper not just an advanced certification) as they are 40m dives and there can be some current. The other consideration this time of year is the west winds blow so the waves can be higher so getting to the island is not always possible. so we dont go everyday. but as often as poss.

Hope thats of use

cheers

Chris

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2013 at 07:24 AM ----------

Hi Matts

Well it would be great to see you guys come explore here. PM me on info@biradivers.com as if you bring 7 divers its free for you. If its less dont worry for Indonesians and KITAS holders there is an indo discount

As for topside, we are out in the jungle so there isnt much. But as mentioned there is the Pinisi Boat Building Village of Tanah Beru to visit, its pretty impressive, and all the other villages around they dont see many westerners so a good scooter day out for sure and you can find your own beach. Unfortunatly no surf, the wind is either very gentle or blows super hard but not surf worthy. Though i am going to start stand up paddle later in the year! Trekking isnt poss but there is a couple of hikes to see the Sulawesi Makaks - pretty big. And we have enough wandering wildlife to keep most engaged - wild boars etc. The beach in Bira village gets busy at the weekend with domestic tourists but down at Bara Beach we have white sands and cold beers. You can find me by the Bintang fridge for sundown pretty easy.

Hope thats of use

Cheers

Chris

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2013 at 07:28 AM ----------

Thanks Zippsy (real name of course!)

I was always a fan of Blackadder but i was blessed with grey hair as a teenager. One of my politer nicknames!!!!

Right then, i am off diving...............

CHRIS

This thread is giving me ideas for my next holidays!
I have been to different places in Indonesia (Lembeh, Bunaken, Pulisan, Pulau, Halmahera) but not yet in the South Sulawesi.
Is November of good month for diving there?
(@Edmund: I sent you an email yesterday)
I like to go to places where there are not too many divers (that seems to be the case :wink:) and with a good variety of dive sites.
Searching the net, I've seen a lot of positive feedbacks, so I am really tempted...
So maybe more info in the future on diving there!

Malene how does halmahera compare to lembeh and bunaken?

Malene how does halmahera compare to lembeh and bunaken?

I have been several times to both Bunaken and Lembeh. So...

There are a few muck dives sites in Halmahera, but if you are into muck dives, I would go to Lembeh. In fact, I might go back there in November :wink:

About Bunaken: Halmahera is much better in my opinion. There are also a lot of wall dives but with much healthier and varied coral than in Bunaken. You will also see more fish schools and pelagic. It is also much more remote than Bunaken, so your boat will be the only diving boat around! The place above water is also very beautiful with a feeling of being away from everything.

I have been to Bunaken several times, and, although I enjoyed this island, I am not sure I would go back there as there are more and more signs of damaged corals and pollution. On the other hand, although it involves taking an extra plane and a long drive to Halmahera, I plan to go back there to.

Hope this helps. If you have any other question, don't hesitate!

---------- Post added July 16th, 2013 at 12:53 PM ----------

Adding to Pughio83 thoughts, can anyone make the comparison with Weda on Halmahera?

I have not planned yet my holidays (trying to choose between Weda and Lembeh, or Ambon, or Bira, or Gorontalo...), but even if I go to Bira, you'll have to wait until November or December for my report :wink:

I'm in Bira now. The sad thing is that Chris (Edmund Greyadder) isn't. He passed away last month from non-diving reasons. The shop is trying to get back on its feet but it's barely just rolled over on its stomach so far. If I manage to get into the water, I'll give a report on the conditions. I wonder what else Bira had to offer other than scuba diving?

Geez Zippsy . . . :(

Always sad to learn of such things but he was pioneering and that's a great loss.

Thanks for letting us know. Hope you get in some dives.

Thanks for the update and hope you get into the water. I am still up for a trip to Weda... Give my best to your lovely wife.

Man, that sucks. He sounded like a pretty solid guy with his post. And it was just last month that he was still posting on this thread. :(

Have a good trip Zippsy. Let us know about the trip if you manage to get yourself underwater out there.

Geez... Condolences to the people who know him...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom