My first BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, that's a good model with a lot of fans!

I wonder what someone wouldn't like about a BP/W but wouldn't be an issue with the Zeagle Tech Express? Maybe it's just lighter or something? Seems a lot like a BP/W from a fit viewpoint, just without the modularity.

Not sure, some people just don't like a BP/W for one reason or another. Some also want the 'style' that a Back Inflate or Jacket BCD offers. They sort of 'look' the part of a Diver. Some of these people are the types that would pretty much attach the kitchen sink to themselves if they could 'just in case'.

Thanks for all the reply's I have only ever dived in a jacket BCD aqualung wave. Could someone tell me the pros and cons of a BP/W against a jacket type.

Pro's are less weight needed. More travel friendly. Will fit you everytime because you custom fit it to you. No useless pockets. Customizable to your style of diving. You put the d rings where you need them. Puts weight evenly distributed over your lungs thus promoting better horizontal trim. More stable platform for the tank. Does not tend to roll around and make you look sloppy.

Cons- many shops and instructors have no idea how to set one up. They mistakenly think it's just for tech divers. Less profit margin in general on them so shops.would rather sell you a bulky poodle jacket full of bling that you do not need and they make more money on. Does not wear out. Pro for you, con for the shop. You can replace part of it like the harness webbing for less than $20.00 and shops don't like that. They'd rather sell you a whole new bc.

Also it is no harder to learn to use one than any other bc. It is a bag with an inflator, harness, and hard back plate. IMO jackets are harder to use for new divers as they are too "busy" with all the doodads and gimmicks. A BPW is simple, streamlined, and intuitive.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

+1 for the BP/W... i've recently switched from guess what... A Mares Dragon!!...

You can't beat the customization and simplicity of a BP/W. Thats why i love it... no frills, but you can add "frills" if you want

if however you do not want to go BP/W i can say that the Mares Dragon is a good BC and i never had a problem with the weight pockets... i believe i have the newer design pockets that don't fail as such...

Also, you should look at the Mares Pegasus as an alternate to the dragon, its cheaper, less bulky, rear inflate and weight integrated if your into that

I'm one of the people who don't appreciate the BP/W much. My OMS stainless plate doesn't see the water very often at all. I have an old Zeagle Teckpack which is my favorite. I also have a Dive Rite Transpack which is a really fine BC and still sees a lot of use. I recommend to my students they they try several different models before buy one and find what is best for them. Most divers,(at least around here) as you get to know them are more than happy to show and let you test dive their gear. This gets you some opinion on gear before you buy it. Deciding what kind of diving your going to do is really important also as this can drive your purchase. I have a student who loves his BP/W but when he gets on an airplane, he borrows my Transpack.

there are more points to consider.

first, you are doing a purchase. l8ke w everyth8ng, it is best to try before buy. however, in diving it takes time before the technology differences show and/or pay off. your first dive w bpw will probably be same pathetic experience as your first jacket bcd dive. also, i know a lot of great divers who hv never made a single dive w a bpw, so it is obviously less abt a stuff and more abt ppl and how they ve develop3d their motoric skills=how much time they spent uw.

second, you need to choose what kind of diving you are going to do. lets call it "more casual" against "more serious" (i m trying to avoid usual and not-productive division lines like "agency against agency", "r3c agst tec" etc.) if you only want to hop into warm waters twice a year during holiday, you can afford to buy whatever simply according to your color preferences :) my Jetfins are yellow, for instance :p

if you, however, think you will be willing to invest all that necessary time, effort and (serious) money into becoming a more serious diver, try to do a couple of dives w bpw, coz sooner ir later, you will find out that jacket style bcd is limiting your diving possibilities - for instance, afaik you can only dive single tank. well, the day will come when you start diving doubles...

if you are new to diving, check some videos with tags GUE or UTD. Look how these guys move through water, their trim and perfect buoyancy. then check any video w holiday "vertical divers", struggling in water column, trampling on corals and silting the mud w their fins two meteres below them ... and then you choose for yourself how you want to look like on some future video.

THIS, in my oppinion, is much more important decision to make than bpw vs jacket...

happy diving! :)

If you are considering moving into technical diving, if you plan on diving in cold water with a dry suit, or if you plan on diving double tanks, ether now or in the future, then you should get a BP/W.

On the other hand, if you are sure that you will only be doing warm water, single tank, relatively shallow recreational diving, then you should get a BP/W.

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom