IMPORTANT health question for all who attended the Bonaire Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike and I are both congested and have a some clearing issues in one ear. Each of us respectively. Other than that we're fine. Jenni, sorry to read about our friend. This isn't what any of us would have wanted for her and I feel sad her great time in Bonaire ended with this secondary illness. Positive thoughts and imaginary hugs sent her way.

~ Carmen

Wonder she was around mosquitoes that carry dengue. Some of the symptoms sound like it could be that.

A quick update on Janet's condition...
She's no longer getting worse, so that's a positive, and they're hoping to move her out of the ICU and into a 'regular' room tomorrow.
Doctors still don't know what the infection is, but she's slowly responding to treatment which is great news.
Thanks for all the kind words and prayers!

Last edited:
Glad to hear Janet is starting to improve. I wish her a speedy and full recovery.I arrived home feeling fine.

A quick update on Janet's condition...
She's no longer getting worse, so that's a positive, and they're hoping to move her out of the ICU and into a 'regular' room tomorrow.
Doctors still don't know what the infection is, but she's slowly responding to treatment which is great news.
Thanks for all the kind words and prayers!

That's wonderful to hear! We'll keep sending our prayers her way!

Sounds like it might be a mild case of Dengue Fever. It is caused by the bite of a mosquito that is active during the day. Bonaire has the disease on island but it's not vwery prevalent to my knowledge.

Symptoms of Dengue FeverSymptoms, which usually begin four to six days after infection and last for up to 10 days, may include

• Sudden, high fever
  • Severe headaches
  • Pain behind the eyes
  • Severe joint and muscle pain
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Skin rash which appears three to four days after the onset of fever
  • Mild bleeding (such a nose bleed, bleeding gums, or easy bruising)

Sometimes symptoms are mild and can be mistaken for those of the flu or another viral infection.
Doctors can diagnose dengue infection with a blood test to check for the virus or antibodies to it. If you become sick after traveling to a tropical area, let your doctor know. This will allow your doctor to evaluate the possibility that your symptoms were caused by a dengue infection.

Treatment for Dengue Fever

There is no specific medicine to treat dengue infection. If you think you may have dengue fever, you should use pain relievers with acetaminophen and avoid medicines with asprin, which could worsen bleeding. You should also rest, drink plenty of fluids, and see your doctor. If you start to feel worse in the first 24 hours after your fever goes down, you should get to a hospital immediately to be checked for complications.

I threw up the night of the beach dinner with the skewers...a few people at our table had some under-cooked chicken and noticed it, after I had already eaten mine! It passed after that one episode, so I suspect it was due to that only.

I hope Janet continues to improve and feel better!

Best,

Jenni,

Thanks for the update on Janet. Our prayers to her:)

She had a much, much better today so things are (finally) moving in the right direction.
I'll keep updating...
Again, thanks so very much for all the kindness and concern everyone.
Such a wonderful group of caring people here on Scubaboard -- love it.
Jenni

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom