This is why I own a CO Monitor..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, as far as I know, the State of Florida just removed it's oversight.

I can't find the flashpoint of Del1 Synthetic Oil anywhere. Anyone know what it is? Just wondering when it starts to break down.

Who makes the oil?
We have most of that data if you can provide the oil manufacturer and product name. If its a high quality HP synthetic the flash point will be > 500 F.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2013 at 08:21 PM ----------

Actually, as far as I know, the State of Florida just removed it's oversight.

Do you have a link for that change which would be a step backwards but not surprising given that the operators only had to send in the compressor test passes and not the failures. Typically if a fill station failed a test they would rectify the problem, retest for free, and send in the pass so that problematic compressors were not identified.

Maybe the State felt that if the system was being gamed it was better to close the program and not have any potential third-party liability as the regulator.

Thanks for the Florida update Superlyte.

Unfortunately the following statement is not the case: "Currently, dive organizations are required to monitor air quality to maintain certification or membership in recreational dive associations."

Not one of the training organizations except for ANDI currently requires it affiliates to test the quality of its compressed breathing air on a regular basis.

If that Del1 synthetic is from Breathing Air Systems it is a re-branded oil. If I had to take make an educated guess as to which oil it might be based on the distinctive yellow color and the fact it is recommended for Mako compressors I'd say it is the Anderol 555. If you compare the MSDS from the Breathing Air Systems Del1 to the Anderol 555 you may find they are identical or very close. They list the flash point as 259 C or 498 F.
Anderol - ANDEROL 555

Swamp, that's not my correspondence but rather the senates. At any rate, there's no oversight now :)

Superlyte27,

As an engineer, I'd agree with everything you said.

As a Diver, I'd say that some Dive operators don't know about compressor location, running hours, operating temps, continuous fill v's stop start, intake & exhaust placement, engine type, etc etc .. At least until it bites them in the ass..

As I mentioned before the compressor - in this thread, is:

1. old

2. Badly positioned - It is mounted against the rear bulkhead in a Ford Transit

3. Bad location of intake

4. Bad location of exhaust

5. minimal filtration

Now I wouldn't expect to see this on a comercial job as it would be thown over the side...

... and of course, the compressor may be just fine. It's unlikely, but possible that the steel tank has water in it, sat for weeks or months with air under pressure and rusted. As the metal rusts it produces CO. So, make sure your buddy gets a viz on this tank.

I have lent a cylinder to them (now have 52 of them !! ), & I've not allowed them to dive this cylinder until the HSE have finished their investigation. At that point they will be gettting it O2 cleaned.

Id like to suggest that you CAN overheat a properly maintained and fit for use compressor and cause synthetic oil to reach flashpoint. Possibly even lower than the manufacturer claims. Theres a thread over on the deco stop where a guy had done a lot of research into it.

It can be due to the temperature of the intake air. If it is HOT like in the tropics, the compressor can run way hotter than it would normally. I doubt thats an issue in the case of the OP though if this is a UK fill :)

Also, as I understand it - worn compressor parts can also cause an issue and internal combustion on one of the stages isnt always noticeable. You can get Toluene in the air which has caused issues in the past. Not sure if CO would also be present in these instances.

Back
Top Bottom