Padi Scuba Diver Cert. vs. Open Water Cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My feelings go in the opposite direction: even an OWD is a minimalized course. I don't think, that with 4 ow dives one can really feel confident in the water, using scuba gear. 2 dives are not more, than a simple skills presentation, with no or very little repetition. It also gives the instructor very little chance to correct any bad habits/"instincts".
Your points, tamas, support awarding the Scuba Diver cert and making the diver do a number of additional dives with an instructor before going on to finish the OW course. Let's say a SD with just two dives then goes diving on a few Sundays and dives with a dive pro an additional 10 dives. Then when he's got more than just one day of a weekend he decides to complete the OW course. By the time he's certified OW, he will have done 14 dives, all with a dive pro, will have gained confidence, and will have had lots of opportunities to be mentored/coached by a dive pro. Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do given that you think the OW course is 'minimalized'?

Definitely true, if the professional guide corrects the mistakes and not there just to guide. It just feels a bit strange to me to start with SD, if I think of gradual training, OWD + AOWD comes into my mind with a few dives between them. When I decided for scuba training, I definitely didn't want to stop, I booked the OWD + 3 fun dives straight away (not to mention, cashing a nice package discount:)).

Besides, depending on resort, as a fresh OWD you have a good chance to get buddied up with a DM or a more experienced guide. Picking one of these places, one has both the (usually free) supervision and the freedom of an OWD cert.

Your points, tamas, support awarding the Scuba Diver cert and making the diver do a number of additional dives with an instructor before going on to finish the OW course. Let's say a SD with just two dives then goes diving on a few Sundays and dives with a dive pro an additional 10 dives. Then when he's got more than just one day of a weekend he decides to complete the OW course. By the time he's certified OW, he will have done 14 dives, all with a dive pro, will have gained confidence, and will have had lots of opportunities to be mentored/coached by a dive pro. Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do given that you think the OW course is 'minimalized'?

I agree that scuba diving is not a cheap hobby, especially if you want to invest in your own gear and dive exotic places. I would recommend doing the OW whenever possible, so as not to be limited. Although there is plenty of life to see at <12 meters over Posidonia meadows here on the Costa Brava and around some parts of Italy. So it really depends on what your future plans are. Is it an extension of your love of snorkeling or do you want new experiences like wrecks and caves?

I invested in my gear because I want to save on rental costs, which easily reach 30-50$/dives around here.
Diving in exotic places - I think this is the reason most of us dives:) At least once in my lifetime I want to do Antarctica, Galapagos... I agree, these cost a
fortune. If if wasn't, the waters would be full of divers and the fish gone elsewhere.

I agree that scuba diving is not a cheap hobby, especially if you want to invest in your own gear and dive exotic places. I would recommend doing the OW whenever possible, so as not to be limited. Although there is plenty of life to see at <12 meters over Posidonia meadows here on the Costa Brava and around some parts of Italy. So it really depends on what your future plans are. Is it an extension of your love of snorkeling or do you want new experiences like wrecks and caves?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom