Reason for Taking Fundies

Motivation for taking Fundies

• I have taken Fundies and have substantially adopted the DIR philosophy for most of my diving.

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • I have taken Fundies to be a better diver, not necessarily to be a DIR diver.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • I plan on taking Fundies and substantially adopting the DIR philosophy for most of my diving.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • I plan on taking Fundies to be a better diver, not necessarily to be a DIR diver.

Votes: 20 31.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took Fundies primarily to learn the back kick thingy ... I ended up learning a lot more than that.

No interest in "being" DIR ... it's a great system, but I have a broader set of interests that include solo diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am not sure if Fundies is in my future, saw the timed stuff and not sure I can get it done (irregular arm causes me to pretty much drive hard to the right when swimming freestyle and got of practice left to try and get breast stroke to the level required to finish the swim).

I do plan on taking the Primer to be a better diver as far as skills go, and hopefully eventually Doubles Primer to learn to properly use doubles. I think if I do try Fundies it will be for a Tech Pass just to try for it. I don't believe the whole DIR mantra lock stock and barrel, but a lot of their goals/standards are something I want to meet on a personal level.

I did the Fundies swim test sidestroke, and one of my classmates did it backstroke. There is no stroke prescribed (although some instructors will think it reflects on your fitness if you don't do it freestyle).

I took fundies the first time because i wanted to be a better diver. I took it a second time to prove to myself I could pass it, and because I want to take tech 1 at some point in the future.

I have just finished the 4 day course last week with a provisional pass so I am not sure if my vote is really legit as I certainly have substantially adopted the Fundies philosophy but only time will tell if the entire holistic system will stick in it's entirety.

I really enjoyed my instructor's analogy of the Fundies class being a buffet and that it was utlimately up to the student to take what they wanted to take. Of course, ideally, the meal would consist of a sensible balance of veggies, meat, carbs, as well as the yummy dessert, but our instructor felt that eating just any part of the meal would still be of some nutritional value.

It nicely emphasized to me that no one was really force-feeding us any dogma - a myth which seems to be suggested as part of the GUE teaching by some. During the classroom discussions, we had examples cited to highlight the rationale behind the protocols and we had in-depth discussions to clarify the why's of some reasons that were not as obvious to me.

Although, I still have some skepticism as to how certain physical limitations may or may not allow me to personally continue with all the requirements of the standard GUE equipment configuration, at no time did I feel that I was expected to blindly accept what they offered as a tried and true system. Only further practice will determine if I can overcome the current challenges I have and whether I will need to seek other alternatives.

My motivation for doing the Fundies is pretty similar to those already stated: keep learning more about safe diving practices and improving my in-water skills in a fun and positive environment. Personally, I like that the GUE standards are high and that there is an expectation that I will put in the time and effort if I want to improve those skills. Unfortunately, I can't say the same applies for any of the PADI courses that I have taken.

So even if I don't end up getting a Fundies pass, I know that whatever effort I put in will ultimately make me a better diver and a better buddy.

I did the Fundies swim test sidestroke, and one of my classmates did it backstroke. There is no stroke prescribed (although some instructors will think it reflects on your fitness if you don't do it freestyle).

I figured, want to get in better shape and some more dives first. Also, going their gear set up and used to it in the water first. Maybe try and get some practice in. Thankfully I'm not far from Cave Country and they are always having classes.

I am not sure if Fundies is in my future, saw the timed stuff and not sure I can get it done (irregular arm causes me to pretty much drive hard to the right when swimming freestyle and got of practice left to try and get breast stroke to the level required to finish the swim).

BVickery, I never learned how to swim as a kid and the first time I ever attempted to swim a length of the pool was pretty much after I signed up for my Fundies class and found out that there was a swim test.

I had a really bad frozen shoulder a few years ago from impingement syndrome so I practiced by gradually working up to the distance by using a combination of breaststroke, sidestroke, and backstroke and I managed to pass.

My instructor's advice was to just keep moving... there is plenty of time as long as you don't stop.

So seriously, if I can do it, pretty much anyone can (my kids laugh at me and say I do a really good rock imitation in the water).

BVickery, I never learned how to swim as a kid and the first time I ever attempted to swim a length of the pool was pretty much after I signed up for my Fundies class and found out that there was a swim test.

I had a really bad frozen shoulder a few years ago from impingement syndrome so I practiced by gradually working up to the distance by using a combination of breaststroke, sidestroke, and backstroke and I managed to pass.

My instructor's advice was to just keep moving... there is plenty of time as long as you don't stop.

So seriously, if I can do it, pretty much anyone can (my kids laugh at me and say I do a really good rock imitation in the water).

Oh, I'm part fish and a strong swimmer, just haven't been in the water given so many damn problems popping up. As I tell my friend's I'm on Mr. Murphy's speed dial and on get hand written Christmas and Birthday cards form him.

I took Fundies for a couple of reasons
a) I wanted to become a better diver, but despite numerous requests of instructors, I realised I was not actually being told anything useful
b) I wanted to get into tech diving eventually and was trying to figure out the right path
c) After learning that my wifes work colleague was a GUE instructor, the stars aligned

I blame Scubaboard really - I'd never heard of GUE or backplates or any related topic through the LDS's I'd spent time with to that point. After learning of GUE, it kind of made sense to me. I liked the idea of a system that would allow me to learn from the mistakes of others, and leverage the learned knowledge rather than spend years figuring it out for myself. I also knew that my trim and buoyancy kinda sucked, but I was getting nowhere by experimentation.
Along the way I learnt about team diving, gas planning, some more logic behind the gear choices and mandate, and how to be a far safer diver.

So.. did it fix some things? I think so..

Before:

p1020394.jpg
and After
19.June.2012.018.jpg

I think my observations are being validated by the poll numbers. Lately I've met several people who took DIR-F. These people are all side mount cave divers or cave divers in training. They seemed to take the course to get what they could out of it but then go back to doing it their way.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that per say. I too probably would be a DIR-L or Do What Works kind of guy.... but I'd imagine the GUE people are really hoping and perhaps assuming that students would be more vested in adopting the system and continuing on their GUE / DIR training path . Maybe not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom