DIR for open water certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfyrasng

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Edit - ok, so it's not DIR, but bp/w setup, with the goal of moving immediately to DIR after OW certification.

As I begin my venture back into diving, my wife has decided to get certified as well. I have been extremely interested in DIR for the last few years, and just recently ordered my bp/wing. My question is would it be practical for her to do her pool/ow sessions in this setup, or should she just use the equipment provided by the dive shop? They said they use jacket style bc for pool sessions, and then move to back inflate. My thoughts are to let her try it out in the pool before her classes and let her decide if she likes it or not. I don't currently have a long hose setup, so she wouldn't need to contend with a hose wrapped around her during her checkout dives.

Last edited:
I would do it starting in BP/W.

PM "tlessard" on this board. He mostly does tech / sidemount / cave these days but he can point you to a BP/W friendly instructor.

If you need any help setting up your BP/W or want to try the long hose, hit me up. I'm diving all the time out here.

I've taught OW classes with my students in BP/W before ... I don't see any problem with it as long as the instructor is familiar with the setup and understands how to teach someone to use it properly. If the instructor is unfamiliar with the setup, then your best choices are either use equipment they know how to teach in or find a different instructor ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll see how comfortable she is in it, as well as the instructor's ability to teach with it and see how it goes.

Edit - Chrpai, thanks for the advice, but unfortunately we've already paid for the course.

Last edited:
I usually teach a complete OW in the following structure: Confined Water is all done on regular jackets. Open Water in BPW (unless the student specifically asks for regular rec kit). This inmho gives them both setups and they can then decide how they want to go about it. Whenever Im teaching them something "different", I always say: this is the way most people/dive centers do it, this is my way. The BPW is not much of a problem really, everybody likes it better. Longhose, and longhose deployment and drills is a bit trickier, but if I deem it necessary I introduce the skills after the last Confined Water in the pool.

To be quite honest, the reasoning is more practical than phylosophical. Where I do CW (poolwork), has tanks, standard regs, standard jackets. I only have to take my personal gear. This is WAY easier for me, no washing to do after the session is over, no lugging around huge bags. It ends up giving them "both worlds" which I believe is good. For cert trips (I have a 4.5 hour drive to the sea minimum, so it becomes a dive trip) I have 4 or 5 sets of BPW that my students can use in OW.

Most students don´t care really, but will tell you they felt better with the BPW. But really, most don´t really care that much. There is much more **** going on in their heads! Haha.

Now, this is IMPORTANT. DIR IS NOT HOGARTHIAN. BPW and longhose we would consider hogarthian, but that doesn´t imply DIR or DWW or Team Diving, or any of that. If you want a DIR/Team Diving OW course, find a GUE or UTD instructor and course. If you want a DIR/DWW (do what works) minded instructor, agency aside, find one. I teach my courses following the PADI/SDI curricula, but add A LOT of information regarding my own way of diving (DWW/Team Diving/DIResque), but it is not a DIR course. I introduce the mindset of that kind of diving, I pour a lot of my mexican cave team diving mentality, my tech diving DIResque upbring, as well as a lot of Doing What Works speeches in my courses, and it is still just a PADI/SDI course. To do a DIR (even DIR-minded but covering really a team diving mentality) course requires MORE TIME (in water mainly), period. And if you find the right instructor to teach you that way, be prepared to pay more. Understandably.

As I begin my venture back into diving, my wife has decided to get certified as well. I have been extremely interested in DIR for the last few years, and just recently ordered my bp/wing. My question is would it be practical for her to do her pool/ow sessions in this setup, or should she just use the equipment provided by the dive shop? They said they use jacket style bc for pool sessions, and then move to back inflate. My thoughts are to let her try it out in the pool before her classes and let her decide if she likes it or not. I don't currently have a long hose setup, so she wouldn't need to contend with a hose wrapped around her during her checkout dives.

I know you have already paid for the class, but 50Fathom on this board is a NAUI instructor who is also a GUE diver. He is in San Marcos.

And, as of course you know, we have a possible primer class up in my area in the Fall. We are still working on the timing for that, but it looks like it will be behind the Fundamentals class.

All this said, you are also more than welcome to come up and dive with us anytime. Last weekend we had 7 divers in the water in GUE/DIR configuration. 3 GUE divers and 4 GUE hopefuls. Lots of training and lots of fun!

Take care. :)

---------- Post added June 19th, 2013 at 03:37 PM ----------

I just sent 50Fathom a message. I'm sure he will be around soon. :)

Thanks for the offer Chrpai, we'll have to get together some time.

ElGaucho, thanks for the advice. As I make the change over to DIR/HOG type of diving, I'm trying to introduce my wife to the concept as well, although I know she's already got a million questions, and I'm sure DIR/non DIR is the last thing on her mind. Even if she doesn't progress pass OW/AOW diving, it will be nice to have the same style when we're in the water together. Being in the military for the last 10 year, this style makes MUCH more sense than how I was originally taught.

Cyprian, thanks for assisting with the Primer info. I was just in DFW last weekend. I'm actually through there quite often, as my reserve unit is in northern OK. I'll have to make some time to come visit/dive with you guys.

A little late to the thread, but I'm with a shop down here in San Marcos that is "DIR-friendly" to put it mildly. If you ever want to come in and discuss the philosophy, the gear setup, or anything else, (or just go diving!), stop in anytime. We'll put something together, and I love to bring new divers into the fold.

As prior military, myself, I get the appeal amongst military-types. If you ever want to come down and dive and talk shop, let me know!

Thanks 50Fathom. I'll shoot you a PM next time we're headed down that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom