How are the Skeeters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just arrived and opened up my house moments ago. About the second thing I did was spray my ankles as I noticed some buzzing around about a foot from the ground.

What spray works for you MMM ? I'm concerned more about the trip this August than other years...as you can probably tell by all the questions I'm asking. I'm a mosquito magnet even with Deep Woods Off and Cutters Advanced. I read in Cozumel Diving where they do not recommend SkinSoSoft products other than for sand fleas..so I won't be taking that. I'm still curious about the OFF clip on thingy..and plan to see if the refills come in the Deep Woods/Advanced type,too. Using the lime and having spots would be better than dengue. Oh well, guess I'll try different products here in Ohio this summer and take what seems to work best. Thanks for your help

What spray works for you MMM ?
I don't do anything fancy or unusual. I use Off Family aerosol spray purchased at Mega. The list of ingredients is too small for me to read. And I have just sprayed our outdoor, shaded sitting area with H24 Casa y Jardin (Home and Garden) spray because I was horrified at the number of Mosquitos lurking there. I have more stuff upstairs, but this is our main line of defence.

Last edited:
The active ingrediant in mosquito spray is DEET. Various brands have as little as 5% but you can find 40% so read the labels. In my experience...the more DEET the better. I buy 40% DEET spray at WalMart, in both aerosol and pump spray. People tell me that you can find 100% DEET at some specialty Camping Stores but 40% works for me and my very tender children. They do a pretty job of controlling them in town but down south you will be at the mercy of the swamps.

With all the recent rain they will be a problem...

BUT NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE...STAY OFF THE BEACH FROM SUNDOWN ON!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Pidge - I brought back the OFF Clip on last year and it didn't seem to work at all!

Mosquitos are bery bad right now as of a few days ago after all of the rain we've had.

The Deep Woods Family CREAM seems to be the big winner as far as what works well here! Bring some and bring extra for your favorite dive crews and/or leave any you haveleft with them - they really need it as the moskos are very bad in the Caleta! Stores are selling out of stuff - so urge everyone to bring repellent with them so there is some for the locals here!

The Caleta at sundown was the worst mosquito swarm I have ever seen.

Yep, the skeeters are bad right now....we are at the Villa, and from dusk on, hide or they will try to carry you away. All the rain last week has created lots of hungry young 'uns, I think...

Yep, the skeeters are bad right now....we are at the Villa, and from dusk on, hide or they will try to carry you away. All the rain last week has created lots of hungry young 'uns, I think...
Well, it's breeding age females that bite, but yeah - I'm sure last weeks floods lead to a boom.

Breeding age females that bite? OK, no problem, I'm used to dealing with that!

OK - you made me laugh! I know it was not your intention - but miracles do happen :wink:

OK - you made me laugh! I know it was not your intention - but miracles do happen :wink:
If it weren't my intention to make you laugh, I'd be far more serious in my postings :)

Back
Top Bottom