When is a skill "mastered"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...He does not change PADI policy...

That was my point; thanks. PADI policy is what it is. Like most organizations, policy changes are weighed by many people and from various aspects (legal for one). No doubt, policy will change. What it will be changed to is yet to be revealed. I hope you are right and change will occur, as there appears to be much that needs changing... For now, PADI Instructors can either follow the rules as they are printed (bold type), or teach in a manner that would appear to be a clear "violation of PADI Standards," thereby accepting the liability...

WOW! you guys love your "PADI BOOK" that's for sure... From my experience, it really doesn't matter what your "instructor" says you can do. I've seen instructors who can't descend in a dry suit, I've been asked by instructors "how do you get into a Panga".. "how much weight do I need for this dive". I met a diver last week that had 19 dives and was a "Stress and Rescue" diver...THAT'S CRAZY! This person's buoyancy was UNBELIEVABLY BAD yet some dive shop, some "instructor" took their money and convinced them they were a "Stress and Rescue" diver. Quite frankly, I don't care what your certification card says, I don't care what's in a book, nor do I pay any attention to what your "instructor says". With today's instructor standards... I'm going to observe you ONLY THEN will I make a decision about "mastering a skill".

I need a bigger "Like" button for Ninja Diver's post. :)

I don't care what's in a book, nor do I pay any attention to what your "instructor says". With today's instructor standards... I'm going to observe you ONLY THEN will I make a decision about "mastering a skill".

Not just the Instructor Standards, but all levels of the certification process. I've done Instructor cross-overs for certified Instructors who have no idea about how partial pressures work. I briefly explain Dalton's Law and their eyes just glaze over. This is something I teach OW students.

I agree with you. Standards have dropped considerably and this does affect "Mastery" outside of the PADI context.

Lets face it guys, we as instructors give our students the maximum care, time and consideration to master a skill the best we can during the certification process., We do have throw them out of the nest pretty early and let them fly on their own sometime between "mastered well enough to pass" and "geez I hope my students never have accidents."

Lets face it guys, we as instructors give our students the maximum care, time and consideration to master a skill the best we can during the certification process., We do have throw them out of the nest pretty early and let them fly on their own sometime between "mastered well enough to pass" and "geez I hope my students never have accidents."

Perhaps that's what you do, but I provide them with the extra time to prepare them properly. No offense, but "geez I hope my students never have an accident," just isn't considered. They either are trained properly to dive with a member of my family or they aren't. If they aren't, they don't get certified until they are.

As a new diver mastery comes when you can do a skill with no thought and do it on instinct. On my fifth ever dive another diver in or group split between me and my buddy. He swung his arm out knocking my mask off and pulling the reef from my mouth, all without realizing he did it. The fact I instinctively handled the problems and continued the dive is when I would say a skill is mastered.

I know if I had kid ready to be certed, I'd rather /she/he was tutor by someone like net doc then say a cow tow of the padi trip- owning a compressor circumnavigates all this ****e!!!! a 12 year old doing 4 unit maths and physics, doesn't need padi tard ed.....what they need is a patriarch/matriarch they believe in and feel for....an elder who takes away their fears to open up their minds to the wonders of life and how to do things safely with out being paro! word perfect English isn't my prerequisite for a dive cert....I'll take a confident understanding junior as a good position, hell knows any skindiver is better as a student anyhow, they know the physics......even if they don't know the words!!!!!!
Masters of the bull****averse.........marketeers!

---------- Post added June 7th, 2013 at 09:43 PM ----------

to badge-

u let that happen??? your mastery is what??? you should have awareness to not let them get you like that......what u have is bugger all, at like under 20 dives mates dont pretend to be anything except a noob or you will get into trouble.....

As a new diver mastery comes when you can do a skill with no thought and do it on instinct. On my fifth ever dive another diver in or group split between me and my buddy. He swung his arm out knocking my mask off and pulling the reef from my mouth, all without realizing he did it. The fact I instinctively handled the problems and continued the dive is when I would say a skill is mastered.

what were you doing with the reef in your mouth? :D

Having been away for awhile and after reading this thread it's comforting to know that when it comes to SB, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Back
Top Bottom