200' on air for 5 min bottom time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My personal limits are 30 feet on nitrox. Air is for tires :D Anything over 30 and I dive Trimix 18/45 no exceptions.

My personal limits are 30 feet on nitrox. Air is for tires :D Anything over 30 and I dive Trimix 18/45 no exceptions.

What does that do to your cost and availability of diving? Certs, cost of gas, availability/cost of gas in places like Cozumel and Bonaire? Live-a-boards?

Must be nice to have that kind of money. Most times I don't dive NITROX because of the cost. Air is for breathing, H is for ballons.

Last edited:
What does that do to your cost and availability of diving? Certs, cost of gas, availability/cost of gas in places like Cozumel and Bonaire? Live-a-boards?

I was being facetious :)

You're the one that made such a rash and inclusive statement. Now you want me to prove you wrong? Another ridiculous comment.

I've already mentioned the Doria death on Trimix. If there is one death with an END above 100 FSW, you're statement's incorrect. You said "virtually EVERY death below 100' has had an END greater than 100'." That's just not true and you're aware of this.

Regardless of the END, if the Diver has little common sense, he's an accident waiting to happen...

The fact remains that Helium isn't available everywhere (although arrangements can be made in many areas for a price). It's usually a prerequisite to use reasonable parameters to form the basis of a conversation. What's affordable, is therefore interpreted to mean 'what is reasonable for the average person.' At $150 a dive (or more) for the cost of mix only, added to the standard dive costs, it can be prohibitive for most people going on a diving holiday. I've known people that get into CCR for this reason. Like others have stated, it's wasteful to do a some dives on mix, if it can be safely done on air.

Perhaps this is your opinion because you have been "doped-up on nitrogen" and made an unsafe dive. You can speak for yourself, but you can't speak for anyone else. This does not give you cause to make unsubstantiated statements that are directed towards the diving practices of others. IGN affects everyone differently and at different times.

If you personally can't accurately predict when to stop drinking alcohol; perhaps you shouldn't drink at all. If you can't safely ascertain if you are safe past 50 FSW on Air, it's best that you don't dive deeper than that. IGN is affecting you at 50 FSW and if you don't understand that, maybe you should consider using mix on all your dives, or pick a different hobby...

I didnt say all. I said virtually all. That's like 'almost all'. Read all the words. They are there for a reason.

What was the END of your one example?

I don't need to speak for anyone else or how they feel. I don't care about feelings. I care about results and evidence. High ENDs make a dangerous activity more dangerous, and the only reason to not use helium is nickel rocketry and false bravado.

Must be nice to have that kind of money. Most times I don't dive NITROX because of the cost. Air is for breathing, H is for ballons.

And for voice tricks.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2013 at 09:49 PM ----------

I didnt say all. I said virtually all. That's like 'almost all'. Read all the words. They are there for a reason.

I don't need to speak for anyone else or how they feel. I don't care about feelings. I care about results and evidence. High ENDs make a dangerous activity more dangerous, and the only reason to not use helium is nickel rocketry and false bravado.

What is the cost of He? Certs & fills. I am another one in the boat of only using EAN when it is free or justified.

Okay Mods . . .we've got the usual argumentative degeneration into ad hominem fallacy:no: !

No, helium is not available everywhere. Some places on this planet just don't have sufficient demand to keep a supply of helium on hand for the occasional trimix diver. And those places usually have transportation and import regulations that make it functionally impossible to get helium.

You are programmed for trimix below 30m, and that is a good, conservative approach that will keep you well within your personal safety envelope. But out in the wilderness, there are some places deeper than 30m worth diving that don't have a supply of helium. My buddies and I will dive them; you can enjoy yourself on the beach while you wait for your helium to be air dropped by your industrial gas supplier.

My buddies and I will dive them; you can enjoy yourself on the beach while you wait for your helium to be air dropped by your industrial gas supplier.
That pretty much sums it up :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom