Questions on trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some thoughts on my buoyancy.

I took a two year break from diving. Mainly just busy with changing jobs, moving half way across the country. etc. I got my AOW PADI cert in 2010 and I logged 54 dives in 2010, mostly freshwater lakes but some advanced deep-ish wrecks like the spiegle grove. From about 20 dives in, I really focused on buoyancy practice. Some times when diving in a dive lake I would spend almost an entire dive working mid water skills while maintaining a horizontal trim. I've never seen a picture of my self in trim position So I have no idea how it really is.

So I did a fun dive at the local dive lake over the weekend and it's my second dive for over two years. During the dive I felt my neck get sore from looking forward. I'm wondering if I'm too "head down". I don't remember having the sore neck as if I'm constantly looking at the ceiling. I feel that I'm arching my back but maybe not enough. I don't think my attituded is extremely forward (head down) but maybe I'm too horizontal or very slightly head down? Thoughts?

Without a picture it will be very hard to tell you what's going on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you are trimmed horizontal and actually staring straight ahead your neck is bent. If you look down, and around, and roll your eyes up a bit to look ahead your neck is not bent as much and gets a chance to relax. It is possible that the absence caused you to tilt your head more and focus ahead so that your neck was tensed up the whole dive. Maybe being a little more relaxed would help. Just a thought.

Hard to say not knowing but you may have just been looking too forward. Most sights are down & ahead requiring a minor neck inflection or can be scanned for with rolls.

Pete

Get someone to take a photo and or video of you. Pictures really do tell a thousand words - I'd bet that your trim is quite different to what you think it is. There's a reason instructors use them - because even when someone tells you exactly what is wrong, it will only really make sense when you can see it yourself.

That is one of the reasons, I think I keep my trim in a slightly head up position. I am always scanning the horizon out in from of me.. If I remain perfectly horizontal, this will absolutely kill my neck. I think I am willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of swimming efficiency in order to avoid discomfort.

Back
Top Bottom