Banging my head on the first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had this issue. Here is a few things that can make problem worse.
1. Din reg with yoke adaptor.
2. STA, especially badly design STA.
3. Too big of backplate.
4. Too flat of backplate.

If you are not bpw user, 2-4 are applicable to you. 1 still applies tho.

As others have said, put the tank band as high up the tank as possible. Also, if your first stage is tall, turn it upsidedown and change the location of the hoses to match. This is what I do.

Your tank might be too high up... try lowering it.

With my head fully back, I can't reach my first stage when I try to.

But then again, I use a MK25 pointed downward, so I have extra clearance there too.

Same here. Plenty of clearance.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2013 at 02:22 AM ----------

Does anyone else have this problem - while diving if I have to look up, and just a few days ago when I did a giant stride off the dock, my first stage bangs me in the back of the head. Ouch! Any suggestions on how I can avoid this? My head has a good size lump!!

Look down while doing a giant stride. Maybe you looked up as you were jumping in. Tuck your chin, and jump.

Once you do locate where the best place to mount your tank so it no longer dents your head, you can get a height strap for your BC. Essentially, it's just a strap that sets just how high the BC goes on the tank. You can make one yourself- my is just a big dog collar looped through my BC.

That way, whenever you install your BC, it will alway be at the same height.

Try turning the 1st stage upside down- you'll need to swap the reg and pressure hoses around but it's normally no big deal.

May help to name your equipment and perhaps post some photos of it assembled.

Post a picture of the back of your head. I, myself, have a rather lumpy noggin. I'm surprised that no one has thought of this before in his thread, maybe you just have an alien skull.

:rofl3:

alternative answer: Don't look up?

Happens to me if I'm in an area where yoke tanks are the standard, and I have to use a yoke adapter on my HOG regs. This will make me hit my head if I tilt back 100% of the time. Most of the time I just deal with it while I need to, because I don't look up when doing any kind of entry, and in the water, it's not an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lower the tank if you can. My BC has a single strap and I have to put it all the way up just before the tank curve. Otherwise I'm hitting my head - never had the problem when jumping in but it's really annoying in the water. This does mean the tank is now more likely to be whacking me in the legs, solution to that is a shorter tank.

I like a "high tank," but have not had a head hitting issue. It is all about the tank placement, and the length of the tank as compared to the length of your body. I suggest you not only lower the tank, but also consider a different shaped tank, one that is not so long. Depending on your air consumption, a 50 or 64 may be a sufficient gas supply, and either will "fir" you better."
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom