200' on air for 5 min bottom time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Late to this party, but I'm calling b.s. on the "Adaptation" argument.

As a practical matter you can yap all you want about narcosis adaptation, but I'm not buying it as being practical.

There is significant adaptation to deep air. I have no doubt. Is it "practical" ? I don't know. Are you vulnerable to having a bad day? YES. Is it safe? No.

Some people can't dive deep on air.. they feel bad, dislike the impairment and will probably never attain much adaptation for it... That is fine.. But this is not BS.. somebody who has functioned reasonably well on hundreds of deep air dives is probably going to have an easier time of doing it once more, compared to somebody who has never been past 100 and wants to try 190.

There is significant adaptation to deep air. I have no doubt.

I agree, but I think the adaptation is psychological/procedural, rather than physiological.

The diver might develop a greater capacity to 'focus whilst impaired' (think through the fog) and/or adapt his diving procedures/protocols to take account of predicted mental performance decrease; for instance, developing a habit to physically confirm gauges/dive plan at more regular intervals to compensate for decreased situational awareness.

The inherent risk with psychological/procedural adaptation to narcosis is that it does not account for stressor and physiological variables that the diver may encounter on any given dive.

Actually, it would be just a bit longer - 23 min: 1) 4 min descent @ 50 fpm, 2) 5 min at 200 feet, 3) 11 min for ascent (@ 30 fpm) to 20 feet) 4) 1 min @ 20 feet) 5) 2 min @ 10 feet.

Your math is wrong in step 3) Ascent from 200 to 20 is an ascent of 180 feet. That's 6 minutes at 30 fpm. Also, you have to add 20 seconds for the ascent from 20 feet to 10 feet and then another 20 seconds to get to the surface. So theoretically and only as an academic exercise, the run time would be 18:40. FWIW (not much :wink:)

Coopair asks :
Lets say I am diving to 200' on air and descend at 50 fpm (4 min) and then stay down for 5 min before ascending. At the moment I ascend what would my ceiling be?

(I assume 4 min at 50 fpm down then 5 min BT would put me into deco)

Let's say, you are stupid...... or you're.... or it's stupid

There, does that make it better?
:censored: You....

People die doing this kind of foolish crap.

Last edited:
Lets say I am diving to 200' on air and descend at 50 fpm (4 min) and then stay down for 5 min before ascending. At the moment I ascend what would my ceiling be?....

here you go:
200ft_air_coopAir.jpg

Make sure you bring along few tanks :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Let's say, your stupid......
If you want to call someone stupid, please learn the difference between your and you're.

There is significant adaptation to deep air. I have no doubt. Is it "practical" ? I don't know. Are you vulnerable to having a bad day? YES. Is it safe? No.

Some people can't dive deep on air.. they feel bad, dislike the impairment and will probably never attain much adaptation for it... That is fine.. But this is not BS.. somebody who has functioned reasonably well on hundreds of deep air dives is probably going to have an easier time of doing it once more, compared to somebody who has never been past 100 and wants to try 190.

And kirby had hundreds of those dives, and it nearly killed him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom