Anyone use a Transpac BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krazyklaws

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi ladies,

I'm seriously contemplating the move from a BC to a BP/W. I've used an Aqualung Diva pretty much since I started diving, and have always hated it. When my tank gets to half empty, it had a tendency to tip me head first in the water. I have worked around it by putting half of my weights on a belt rather than use the integrated pockets and it's OK these days. I have been investigating the Zeagle Zena for a while now, but lately, I've started contemplating taking some steps towards tec, so it seems like my next purchase should be a wing rather than a BC.

The Transpac XT seems to have a lot of loyal followers, both male and female - do any of you use one? I've been looking at it with a travel wing as a start. I'm particularly interested if any curvy (around the bottom!!) ladies have any experience of one. I think the reason for my trim issues with the Diva is due to the amount of neoprene needed to cover my thighs and rear end, so I'd like to know if the BP/W will give me a similar issue. In a well padded 5' 5' UK size 14, with a short torso and longer legs. I'd love to hear of any experience you have with this or similar wings.

Just for info, I'm strictly a warm water, travelling diver so weight is a definite consideration. I usually wear a 3 or 5mm wetsuit.

Thanks in advance,

Karen. xx

Karen;

I'm not female but I will tell you that moving to a back wing configuration will make a huge difference in how you trim. the Zena is a great BCD and with the weight pockets on the waist and sides it will help offset the tail up issues of an AL80 once they get to about 1000PSI.

on the other hand if you are going into tech then a backplate and wing is the only way to go. Dive rite now has a resized transpack just for women of smaller statue and with the transpack you can configure for doubles or SideMount depending on how you rig it out.

I'm actually looking at the nomad xt myself as an add on to the Zeagle Scout and backplate and harness I already own.

hope this insight helps

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 02:27 PM ----------

also forgot. if you want to stay in the BCD you currently own, another option is to use steel tanks. a worthington steel 95 will weight more than an AL80 and let you drop weight from the BCD plus it won't have as a tail up issue like the AL80.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Karen, you might want to consider just any BP/W rather than the Transpac. There are lots of threads here and in the basic forum debating different kinds of bp & w's and harnesses, some very recent, and the usual consensus of those in the know is that they're all fine, and the less extras the more streamlined. Check for yourself. A bp/w is comfortable for any body type, not constricting any area, fitting any size and shape of person, and is very easy to trim out. :)

My wife used to dive with my old transpac. Now she dives with a standard BP/W since it gives her a lot more options.

Dive with a transpac and a BPW....i dont notice a whole of difference, comfort wise, to be honest. Prefer the BPW, tho, for clipping things off.

Sent from my SC-02C using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Years ago I had a jacket bc. Then I saw people with the backplate/wing set up. I JUST wasn't sure I wanted that. So I purchased a Zeagle ranger to try out the idea. Used that for several years. Then I did purchase an apex backplate/wings set up and would never go back.
Wish you didn't live so far away I would sell you my Ranger for a really good price to try for a couple of years. Then you could upgrade.

I have this theory that used scuba gear should go to good homes. I just need to take the time to list it somewhere.

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'm convinced that this is the way to go, I just need to decide if it's the Transpak or another type of backplate.

The reason the Transpak was recommended (it's the BP rather than the BC I'm considering) was because of the soft backplate. This was due to me usually wearing a 3mm and the weight restrictions for airlines.

I don't dive locally and have no dive shops close by so it's impossible to try things out. Makes life a little difficult!

I looooove my Scubapro X-Tek. While I'm a little back heavy walking around on a boat/land, the moment I hit the water it's like it isn't even there. It's ridiculously comfortable and has more D-rings than you can shake a stick at. The best part? There's no specific "size" as it's so adjustable that if you gain 30 lbs or drop 80 lbs it can be easily reconfigured. I don't fit in women's specific BCs well at all (too tall, boobs too big) and men's jacket style BCs aren't particularly comfortable.

Specifically I use the X-Tek FormTek, stainless steel plate, donut wing with 30 lb lift, and a single tank adapter. You can easily turn it into doubles and if you get an Armadillo Butt Plate you can do sidemount within minutes.

SCUBAPRO - X-TEK

---------- Post added June 9th, 2013 at 10:39 AM ----------

I have this theory that used scuba gear should go to good homes.

Absolutely! My favorite reg setup was a used gear purchase. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom