Woman dies in Wisconsin Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Wazee Lake is a 350 foot deep flooded quarry in Brockway: Wazee Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scuba dive drowning victim identified as Illinois woman
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office has released the name of a woman who drowned during a scuba dive on Memorial Day.
Deborah Kujbida, 55, of Beach Park, Ill., was pulled from Wazee Lake after she was reported missing shortly after 1 p.m. Monday at Lake Wazee County Park in the Town of Brockway, authorities said Wednesday.
The sheriff's dive team and emergency responders from Black River Falls joined deputies in the search. After the initial call, dispatchers were contacted again and told another diver had found the missing woman in the water unresponsive and brought her back to shore, where CPR was started.
Several groups were using the lake and practicing deep-water dives. The divers had returned to shallower water when they realized Kujbida was missing.

I got to the lake at about 3PM and things were odd at the dive shop. They were probably just digesting what had just happened as I heard the lady was a good friend of theirs. Found out a little later from another diver what had happened as I was getting ready to head in. I know a tiny bit more info but nothing important. I don't feel good about commenting as my information would be 2nd hand. Once I talk to the people at the shop again I may be able to comment a little more. Out of respect I can't and may not be able to say anymore.

So sad. Wazee is a great place to dive here in WI. They have done so much to improve it for divers.

May she rest in peace and peace to her family and friends.

I have been around a death in the water years ago and everyone is in shock. I am sure that is what was happening at the Dive shop.

Sad for sure. There hasn't been a death there since 2010. Locals knew her really well. Tough time for some good people

A little more information: Woman dead after diving at Wazee Lake : Jackson County Chronicle

An Illinois woman is dead after scuba diving at Wazee Lake Monday.
Deborah L. Kujbida, 55, of Beach Park, Ill., was pronounced dead at Sacred Heart Hospital in Eau Claire shortly after 6 p.m. Monday, according to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department.
Her death remains under investigation.
Kujbida was unconscious and unresponsive when a member of her diving group brought her to the surface about 1 p.m. Lifesaving efforts also were attempted at the scene, according to the department.
Kujbida was discovered separated from her group when the rest of the divers had come to the surface after participating in deep-water diving at the lake in the town of Brockway, according to the department.
Authorities first were called to help locate her, but a dive team response quickly was cancelled after a member of her group found and brought her to the surface, Sgt. Pat LaBarbera said.
“We’re not really sure at this point what happened,” said LaBarbera, also the department’s public information officer. “Whether she became lost or disoriented — it wasn’t clear why she wasn’t with the rest of the group.
“She may have had a medical condition.”
Authorities were hoping to be able to airlift the victim to La Crosse or Eau Claire hospitals but couldn’t because of poor weather conditions for flying Monday afternoon, LaBarbera said.
“It certainly would have helped (to have med flight available),” he said.
The woman’s death is the first at Wazee Lake since 2010, when two divers died and another was hospitalized after a scuba diving accident. One man died from complications from rapid ascent and the other died of an apparent heart attack.
Four years earlier, an Alma Center man died after attempting to save his son from drowning in the lake. That incident came three weeks after an accidental drowning that claimed the life of a 52-year-old Black River Falls man.
Wazee Lake is the deepest lake in the state at approximately 350 feet and has clear water, which is good for diving.

The comments about hoping to airlift to lacrosse or Eau Claire are confusing since there is no hyperbaric chamber there. Also my deepest sympathy to anybody reading this post that knew the diver.

Was fortunate enough to have met Deb on several occassions...never had the opportunity to dive with her ..she was a VERY experienced and highly trained diver....
In regards to the med flight issue...it was NOT for a Chamber ride...

She seemed like a wonderful lady..very highly thought of in the area, and will be missed....very unfortunate accident.

Back
Top Bottom