Head Mounted Camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Super Noob 1258

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the DIR position on Head mounted cameras (Such as a gopro)? I know that helmets are frowned upon, as they present a line trap and can interere with deploying the long hose. Does the smaller profile of one of these cameras present a lower risk, or is it still unacceptable?

How does the DIR community deal with cameras? Tie a bolt snap and clip it off to a shoulder when it's not in use?

I think you've figured out the drawbacks of a head mounted camera, there are many ways to mount/hold a camera but you'd be hard pressed to find a "DIR" way (I wish that term would go the way of the dodo). Personally, I have to film students for feed back after lessons so I use a mount that doesn't interfere or at least minimizes interference with skills and performance. A simple bungee with a bolt snap. I'm curious to see some comments as it is one of those questions we don't often discuss....especially now that the "go pro" cameras are everywhere.

Last edited:
I use a Gopro with a simple bungee loop that I can fit over my right hand and a bolt snap. The Camera lives in my pocket until I want to shoot something then I bring it out, loop it around my right wrist and start shooting. I may temporarily park it on my right shoulder d-ring. The Loop of bungee is there not just to secure my camera but also allows me to drop it as needed and use my right hand to donate gas. Always keep your right hand free. Left has the can light which you can illuminate with as needed. When i'm done I clip it to my pocket bungee's and it goes back in the pocket. Simple, cheap and effective.

I don't know what the DIR position on head mounted cameras is but I would ask you, does it seem like a good idea? Like you said, it has the potential to interfere with deploying your long hose. Also, if your mask strap breaks, will you be able to put on a back up mask with that go pro on your head?

There are plenty of divers (DIR or otherwise) who dive with cameras. Usually they hold them in their hands when shooting and clip them off when not. I've also seen really good results with video cameras mounted on scooters. See some examples from supersand - Erik Sandvik on Vimeo

I wouldn't put it on my head for the reasons you mention. Just hold it and clip it off to a dring when you aren't holding it. A scooter mount is an ok solution, too.

I use a Gopro with a simple bungee loop that I can fit over my right hand and a bolt snap. The Camera lives in my pocket until I want to shoot something then I bring it out, loop it around my right wrist and start shooting. I may temporarily park it on my right shoulder d-ring. The Loop of bungee is there not just to secure my camera but also allows me to drop it as needed and use my right hand to donate gas. Always keep your right hand free. Left has the can light which you can illuminate with as needed. When i'm done I clip it to my pocket bungee's and it goes back in the pocket. Simple, cheap and effective.

Do you have a picture of this configuration? I'm guessing you are using one of the basic mounting brackets that come with the camera and then just run bungee cord through it with a SS Bolt Snap attached to the cord? I think I have the gist, but a picture would be most helpful. I just got a GoPro and would rather not dive with it on my head for the above reasons, but didn't know of a better way. I was considering building a small handheld mount and then clipping it off to my butt d-ring. would this be acceptable, or is the pocket simple mount easier to use and more inline with DIR philosophies?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom