Recommendations 1st stage for pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timakempton

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a light weight simple bulletproof 1st stage for a pony I don't want to spend a lot so will probably buy second hand. Any recommendations?

ScubaPro MK2 is all of those things.

There are other regulators that are of the same design too: Non balanced piston 1st stage such as the ScubaPro MK 2 (or Aqualung Calypso, Mares R2, Sherwood Brut, Oceanic SP4 and a few others.) This simple design is usually inexpensive, nearly bullet proof, easy to get parts for, and easy and inexpensive to service. It's also easy to DIY because it requires only a few o-rings and a seat. Additionally, there is plenty of help in the DIY section if you need it.

Edit: Scratch Sherwood from the list. See Spectrum's post below. (I forgot about the bleed system.)

Last edited:
See if you can find one of these somewhere: Envoy RaZor - Regulator Models - Regulators - Zeagle Dive Systems - assuming Zeagle has a presence there.

Capture.JPG

as said above, the MK-2 from ScubaPro really shines. You can find some good deals on new ones (LP has a package that is less than buying the stage by itself), so don't just think used. A word of caution about configurations like the Zeagle - if you forgot the fill adapter, things get wonky for you (though one would hope never to need it)....

DIN or Yoke?

You can usually find a ScubaPro MK20 on eBay for about $100. That's what I sold mine for when I replaced it with a new Hog BP2 that I paid about the same price for.

The MK20/S550 was a nice used reg and has a nice resale value. Nice enough to buy a brand new BP2/DUROC for the same price instead of paying for annual service and DIN conversion.

A Sherwood is't ideal for many since you must keep it pressurized while in the water. If depressurized the chamber will go to ambient and the checkvalve isn't all the positive (it's a floating rubber plug) and you can have water in the "dry" chamber.

Yoke is what I'm after I have an early MR12 that I was going to use but I really want to find something lighter. I'll look into the MK-2 I think.

There's not that many reg that are going to weigh less than an early MR12.
The old unsealed Sherwood 2000 or possibly the Aeris/Oceanic unbalanced piston.
Even then it's only going to be an ounce or two.

Without question an H2Odyssey RG2V Piston First Stage - RG2V - Marine Scuba Gear Air Systems - Goodrum International from Goodrum. Get a Pony SPG and both fill adapters from them for way less than any other 1st stage you are likely to find. The unit is tiny, light and unobtrusive. Most importantly it is reliable. Take your octo 2nd off your main and install it on the RG2V and you are set. PM me if you want a picture of my setup.

For me, I don't recommend getting cheap and/or specialized ( all in one valve or button SPG for examples) equipment. One reason for this choice is my stage/pony bottle is part of my save a dive kit.

If my Hog D1 was to fail on a trip, my Hog BP2 would quickly be swapped out. Same for the second stage. Just yesterday I was on a dive with my friends when one of the ladies diving sidemount had an HP spool failure. We popped it out and found a trashed o-ring and no one on the boat had any replacements. I took the 6" SPG off my pony and put it on her 1st stage so that she could do the dive.

Sure, having had o-rings on the boat would have been better but in a pinch, interchangeability of like quality components is very valuable to me.

Back
Top Bottom