Double Hose regulators- Have you seen anyone diving them?

Have you seen anyone diving a double hose regulator in the last 10 years?

• yes

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • no

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • yes, I dive one

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • no but I would like to try one

Votes: 12 14.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yet, according to the current status of this poll, more than a fifth of ScubaBoard users use them, and about 55% either use them or have seen them in use.

My only point in this is a warning that ScubaBord poll results are quite famously not reflective of what goes on in the actual diving world.

1/5th of SB? Really? There are 35 votes in the poll. Do you think there are only 35 people on SB??? :rofl3:

and, FWIW - options 3 & 4 should actually be "subsets" to 1 & 2, not stand alone data points...

1/5th of SB? Really? There are 35 votes in the poll. Do you think there are only 35 people on SB??? :rofl3:

Maybe you don't understand the normal purpose of a poll. The normal purpose of a poll is to get a representative sample with the assumption that the percentages derived reflect the entirety of the group being sampled. If that is not the purpose of this poll, what is the purpose of this poll?

The purpose of my post was to point out that it just doesn't work that way here. I mistakenly thought it was pretty obvious that the numbers were ridiculous and showed the absurdity of drawing any conclusions from those numbers. I never dreamed anyone would think I believed those numbers. I guess my purpose was not clear enough. I should have explained that more clearly so that people would understand without this added explanation. My apologies.

I agree, also keeping in mind that there are 40,412 currently registered members, and only 35 responses... (0.0866 precent reporting). You can't draw anything from that....

(didn't the press once blow a presidential election prediction once following data like this?)

The gear that is used varies dramatically by region.

When I and a couple of other people working for the shop with which I used to work started tech, we could not purchase our BP/W's through the shop at our employee discount because the shop did not have a vendor who made BP/Ws. When the shop finally took the step of getting a vendor who sold that kind of gear, the shop's buyer came to me while I was practicing in the pool to ask questions about the design of the gear, etc. Neither she (with thousands of dives) the store manager (with thousands of dives), the owner (with hundreds of dives), nor the shop's Course Director had ever seen a BP/W. Once the shop committed and actually got some in stock, they never sold a single one to anyone outside of the people taking the tech class.

I am not working for a different shop, and I am in charge of trying to start the advanced recreational/tech program. The owner and one of the other instructors are the only people who had ever seen a BP/W before I arrived. It is very hard to convince the owner (with nearly 30 years experience as the owner) to have any inventory, because he doesn't think they will sell.

Colorado has among the highest number of divers per capita in the nation. I have been in at least a dozen shops in the state, and I don't recall seeing a BP/W on display anywhere.

I assure you that almost no one in either shop has ever seen a double hose regulator in use.

What you see where you live may or may not be reflective of the industry as a whole.

Our shop right now was in a similar boat. When we started, all jackets, even though my wife and I, (co-managemeners, and primary instructors), dove BP/Ws. Fast forward a couple of years later, and we are still in BP/Ws, all but one of our instructors is in a BP/W, all of our AI/DM staff is in BP/Ws, and we currently have 80% on long-hoses and spring-heeled jetfins, moving towards 100% by fall.

The students still have the jackets in rental because they are cheap to buy, and all the owners see is dollars, (which is good for business, I guess).

We sell 1-2 BP/Ws a month (now that it's hitting dive season), yet we still have jacket BCs that have been languishing on the wall since 2011. I tended to scoff at it, but I guess people DO want to buy what they see the instructors/staff using, which is why we sell the hell out of BP/Ws, jetfins, and long-hose-configured regulators.

When you see us and our staff out at the lake, it's:

38085719_zpsf6f58a3a.jpg

Our shop right now was in a similar boat. When we started, all jackets, even though my wife and I, (co-managemeners, and primary instructors), dove BP/Ws. Fast forward a couple of years later, and we are still in BP/Ws, all but one of our instructors is in a BP/W, all of our AI/DM staff is in BP/Ws, and we currently have 80% on long-hoses and spring-heeled jetfins, moving towards 100% by fall.

The students still have the jackets in rental because they are cheap to buy, and all the owners see is dollars, (which is good for business, I guess).

We sell 1-2 BP/Ws a month (now that it's hitting dive season), yet we still have jacket BCs that have been languishing on the wall since 2011. I tended to scoff at it, but I guess people DO want to buy what they see the instructors/staff using, which is why we sell the hell out of BP/Ws, jetfins, and long-hose-configured regulators.

When you see us and our staff out at the lake, it's:

38085719_zpsf6f58a3a.jpg

How do I get you to talk to our shop owner? :D

Now if Mike only had a North / Lake Austin location.

I have been assimilated, blame Luis.

Pete

I take my Mistral out every summer. I've never seen anyone else diving with a double hose.

Once I have my DA going, I plan to use it as my recreational reg alternating with my Conshelf Supreme, which I still love. I can't wait to be on a boat with a double hose and see some folks reaction as I'm sure they'll be one or two.

Once I have my DA going, I plan to use it as my recreational reg alternating with my Conshelf Supreme, which I still love. I can't wait to be on a boat with a double hose and see some folks reaction as I'm sure they'll be one or two.

It's a lot of fun. Luis, Allan and myself were diving them on Roatan a couple of weeks ago, we constantly had people from other boats coming over to chat about them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom