Double Hose regulators- Have you seen anyone diving them?

Have you seen anyone diving a double hose regulator in the last 10 years?

• yes

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • no

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • yes, I dive one

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • no but I would like to try one

Votes: 12 14.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Many of you know I dive a double hose regulator frequently and during some conversations about diving them, the observation was made that most divers have never seen anyone diving one, let alone dove one. I am sure a lot of the guys from the vintage forum see them, I do all the time but I am almost always diving with them or at least know them. If you have been diving since the 60s or early 70 then you likely have seen one back then. What I am interested in is, have you seen anyone diving a double hose reg, vintage or the modern one, in the last 10 years or so. Obviously you would see them at a vintage event or such....if you were at Sand Dog I know you saw some :) , what I am interested in is, have you seen anyone diving one on a routine dive and if so where? This is purely curiosity on my part.

Can wife's vote ?:idk: Not like we listen to them .......:shakehead:

Jim....

One of my buddies ( a member here ) has brought his out to Lake Travis a couple times. Since he didn't have a BC, I "spotted" him in case there was a problem. To make life easier I had him hand me some weight at depth and then I handed it back at the safety stop. Just a few lbs as I recall as the water was somewhat warmer.

I dive mine several times a year at Lake Tahoe when the LDS has classes there. I dive as a buddy for an odd numbered AOW or specialty class or as a safety diver. When with them I dive with a wing and a pony bottle, house rules.

Because it is the Nemrod I learned to dive with, and sparce parts availability, I just dive fresh water for old time sake. If anyone was interested, I'd let them dive it under my supervision.

This July I will be diving it to celebrate 50 years of diving.

Bob
---------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Back in '06 I was doing my AOW aboard a boat out of Destin, FL which also had a bunch of Vintage divers (my instructor called them "Antique" divers). They had double hose & other odd stuff--the Mike Nelson roundee masks. One guy with double hose, horse collar and no BC said he dives solo from shore a lot. He enjoys freaking people out when he's walking back out of the water--says it's like they're seeing some alien creature.

I dive one. (See my username). Usually use a single Steel 72, though right now, I'm currently getting my US Divers triple-tank rig set-up with a harness, and once i do that, game on!

Yeh, but it was you Herman at Fantasy Lake. Enjoyed trying one out in the Gypsy pool.

Yep, you and one other at FLSP Herman :)
And Elliot but that was a more "modern" setup.

Just something to think about in regards to polling in ScubaBoard...

According to many polls conducted on ScubaBoard, the overwhelming majority of divers use back plates and wings for their buoyancy control devices.

According to industry statistics, fewer than 1% of annual BCD sales are back plates and wings.

According to industry statistics, fewer than 1% of annual BCD sales are back plates and wings.

And 80% of the 99% are dry rotting in a closet somewhere.

The 1% must be extremely well represented in my local diving scene. Just this past Saturday I was doing a boat dive. 2 divers were in SM and 2 divers were in single tank BP/W BM. All had can lights and long hoses.

Most of the time I see someone not in a BP/W they are part of a class. Occasionally there will be someone who's just come out to dive and they aren't in a BP/W.

Back
Top Bottom