Automated External Defibrillator - Do you carry one AND are you trained in it's use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the answer you will hear most is "no" considering the cost. Even the home use units are over a grand at Costco.

Listen Guy's, I'm not trying to over complicate this but I did find the session very valuable and informative.
I thought it worth bringing up on Scubaboard to get people in clubs thinking about whether it's worth running similar sessions for their club.

The stress and task loading whilst performing CPR will make things harder than you might expect if you ever need to do it for real - in my opinion.
I'm glad I've had the opportunity to practice with the clubs units. At least I've heard the voice prompts, and gone through the excercise.
That cannot be a bad thing now, can it?

Trained to use, don't carry one though.

I know how to use one, but I don't carry one with me. They aren't cheap. We did hold a public fund-raising effort to obtain one for one of our most popular diving and training sites, and had it installed in the building there that had a small fish and chips restaurant in it. When the restaurant closed, someone stole the AED.

Hi,
I don't carry one personally, but am trained in their use coming from a fire and rescue background. Over here in NZ, all fire trucks and ambulances carry them and are interchangable - which is great meaning you just swap pads rather than machines. They are starting to become more popular as well with businesses and public places having them. we also have a great website which was started up, while it doesn't include every listing, you be pretty damn sure within reason on land there will be one available within about 5 minutes either through a business or the fire service.

the website is: AED - Home and there is even an app available for both iOS and Android.

Dave

I am trained (AED Instructor among others) but don't carry one. If the price comes down then I will reconsider it, but at over one thousand, I just can't afford to carry one.

Use to be involce making them....

Back then its already easy enough to be used... and its not so widely available in every building. ...

Its design so that when u are in a panic!! U can still use it. Not everyone can stay calm...

Imo... its not about how u use it... but know in which situation to use it and where it is located.

Even CPR protocols have been simplified so task loading should not be an issue. A trained dispatcher can talk an untrained caller through the process. Rescue breaths are usually not necessary since there is enough residual O2 in the bloodstream that what matters is perfusion of blood to the brain. Try not make it more complicated than it has to be. It's not that difficult a skill to learn.

I just did EFR recert class last night. This was my first experience with an AED. Yes the instructions are simple and a 911 operator could walk anyone through the process but I'm glad I got a "hands on" session. I now know what to expect when opening the package and where wires hook up.

Back
Top Bottom