Digital SPG (Not AI Computer) Manufacturers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOCAL_CELT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know of a company that makes a Digital SPG (submersible pressure gauge), it can be be connected directly to a High Pressure Hose or via a sensor, the reason I am looking for this is I would like to start noting my Air Consumption during dives but I don't want to spend the money on an Air Integrated Computer...

Alternatively if there's no such product on the market, what's the cheapest AI computer I can get)?

Thanks!

No such product exists. If it did, it would be much more expensive than a typical AI computer. Look for a slightly used one for sale at a much discounted price...

Why not monitor your gas usage with an regular old analog SPG?

A few years ago AquaLung had a simple stand alone digital PG......not sold anymore but they do turn up occasionally on the second hand market.
Unless you want gas consumption figures to be automatically downloaded to a PC you can be pretty accurate with an analogue gauge.

What you were asking for is a wireless system for which there are many to choose from. Transmitter is connected to a HP port on the 1st stage. However, they are much more expensive than a hose connected AI computer..

What you were asking for is a wireless system for which there are many to choose from. Transmitter is connected to a HP port on the 1st stage. However, they are much more expensive than a hose connected AI computer..

Ah sorry I can see how my post could have been confusing, really I was looking for either/or Hose Connected or sensor. Ideally it would be the cheapest option i.e. a HP Hose Connected Digital SPG.

Looks like this product isn't available, for now I guess I'll stick with my small brass & glass SPG, or upgrade to a new AI Computer.

Thanks for the inputs.

I can't think of a practical reason these wouldn't exist: all hosed AI computers have the basic guts needed for making one (HP sensor, LCD display, processor to convert sensor signal to displayed reading) and they can't be that much more expensive (should be less so, really) than a high-quality brass & glass SPG. And while they're not inherently more accurate, there's not much doubt that with the right HP sensor and calibration process, they would give a diver a more accurate read on pressure than analog gages. I have a very nice Halcyon 2.5" SPG, but I know better than to believe that the needle being somewhere over 3000psi means I have 3000psi. I believe I have somewhere between 2950 and 3075, sure, and that's good enough.

That said, I have to assume there's very little market for them, because I can't find one anywhere on Google.

I'm pretty happy with my Mares Puck Air w/compass. Bought 2 of them - 1 for my wife also. It will show you air time remaining at current depth. Plus you can upload all the data to a computer and do a fair analysis of your air consumption. That's my only SPG attached to my rig, but I also bought a plain mini spg to keep on the boat along with a tool in case one of our two units dies. From a price perspective, on LP it's quite a deal because you get the SPG, computer, compass, all in 1 unit that is fairly similarly priced to an analog console+compass.

I have been doing this, but I would like something a little more accurate to gauge my SAC rates at different stages of a dive.

I don't think there will be any improvement in accuracy over an analog SPG. The resolution of the measurement isn't going to be much different. All you really get is a printed number rather than a dial you have to interpret.

If you use the same analog SPG over the same tank pressure ranges to measure your consumption over time, the errors will be the same and your calculated SAC will be very accurate. In other words, if all you need is the difference between start and finish (delta P), whether the thing reads precisely the exact pressure isn't relevant. I'd go for a good 2.5 inch SPG and a slate.

Back
Top Bottom