Article: THE ACCIDENTAL TECH DIVER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Megan

Since you have been there and done it all AFAIK in Scuba, Go Sky Diving, :D it is great (Short Lived in terms of time though), thereafter BASE, Wing Suit & Wing Suit BASE. That should complete it. Hre is my Amateur Sky Diving Video (GOPRO on my head).

sky diving rcpilotacro - YouTube

Megan thanks for sharing your story of your path into Tech diving.
I have learned to never limit or set obstacles in your training path you just never know.
Sometimes we can push to hard or not hard enough that is when a good instructor/ friend/ mentor steps in and offers some wisdom.
I have come to treasure these dive buddies they are like rare jewels that never loose their luster!
The path to Tech is different for everyone and equally burdened with hurdles mental and physical and sometimes we hit road blocks that slow us down.

Conservatism, sticking to the rules, listening to your physiology, and even the intuition as John and yourself has alluded to.
I have yet to miss a big dive but called many on bad vibes that developed or my body just said NO!
Changed plans limited dives to adjust for how I was feeling.
This approach has been growing in my circle of buddies for a while and allowed us to have some awesome dives.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about some of your dives.

CamG

I, like you was introcuded to tech diving by my boyfriend. In early 2009 I was on Match.com and I got an email: "Are you rec or tec?" I answered "I'm rec" and he answered "I'm tec but I'll rec" Well, it took us about 2 months to meet and drive to Monterey for a weekend. We drove down together, just dive buddies. But before we turned left on I680, we figured out we had something good.

But that first dive he stuffed me into a transpac. We anchored and then moved and anyone on the boat without a stong stomach was heaving. Since my new BF doesn't have a strong stomach, he jumped. I'd never been in tech gear and neglected to attach the crotch strap. When I jumped I inverted to catch up to him (I clear easily) and the whole rig slid down, and I couldn't invert. My dive profile was wierd.

But the second dive I jumped and there he was hanging there in perfect trim and perfect bouyancy.

Even though I had 20 years of rec diving and loved every moment of it, I'm now a tech diver. I'd like to take some wreck corses but that's after I get my full cave. I'm 1/2 the way there.

Thanks for your post, It's nice to see how we can get our passion hijaced but enjoy the ride.

A well written article, Megan. Thank you for sharing. I hope to be able to afford Advanced Trimix one day. Your story, focusing on enjoyment, is a great inspiration to keep going. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Thanks Megan. Your story is very inspiring. Not to belittle certifications because they are the gateway to more capabilities, but I appreciate your perspective in enjoying what you are doing rather than stacking up certifications.

Thank you all for your kind words! If what I share will has inspired people, well, I feel honored and humbled. I am glad you enjoyed my article and hope you will enjoy my future ones.

Who knows, maybe there will be one about cave diving or sky diving or fluorescence night dives, which all sound very cool?

Happy Diving!

Cheers,
Megan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom