Best Fins for leg cramps AND dealing with current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pediatron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to possibly replace my current fins (Apollo BioFins). I have been having leg cramps almost every dive. I also struggle in current others can deal with more easily. I can't seem to get my leg strength up (have always had trouble with stairs/ladders esp with gear on -- have to use my arms mostly). With these limitations, any suggestions on a better choice for fins or do I have the best option?

Where are your leg cramps?

I've found Force Fins very effective in relieving strain (and cramps) on my calves. I've had a few lower leg issues during/since my military career, so was recommended Force Fins a decade ago. Never looked back since. They have more than adequate propulsion also (even in current, w/4+ cylinders).

I like freediving fins for current. They give a lot of power for very little effort however they're pigs to travel with.

Stiffer fins such as Jets will tend to give you more cramps. Ideally you'll want a more flexible blade which 'snaps' back to give propulsion. Some fins are too soft- OK for snorkeling but fold like paper in current.

A wake up/nightime (ie. when brushing teeth) regiment of lifting yourself up on your toes should strengthen calves. Thighs are conditioned through squatting motions- so remove your toilet seat and see the results in a couple of weeks! :)

It's probably not the fins, especially given what you say about leg strength. No matter what fin you use, if you want to push yourself against a current, you need muscle power. HERE is a link to some information about improving strength and minimizing cramping (there is also another article on the same site about the myths of diver leg cramps, which is good reading.)

I appreciate all of the responses. I did see a neurologist last week and confirmed that I do have a problem with the strength in the muscles of my thighs (being worked up). So if I am unable to increase strength, does anyone have any suggestions of the best fins to use to maximize the power that I can produce? Thanks.

I switched over to force fin pros a year ago...had used atomic splits for many years and loved them but started getting cramping in my calves. I'm not a strong swimmer by any means but on my last trip to Roatan, the dive guide actually asked me to slow down so he could keep up with me! :)

I think pediatron, you might want to consider experimenting with different finning techniques too instead of rushing out to spend money.

Back
Top Bottom