How do I stay down longer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Hank49: Yes, I inhale abdominally first then my chest, but I've never heard about looking up for that one last breath. The thing is that if I do that on land, my lungs feel fuller than if I did that in the pool.

@supergaijin: Awesome video. I can't believe how people do that.

Last edited:
Well, what type of issues are you running into? What is stopping you from staying down longer or going deeper?

I can tell you the issues that I ran into. Let me say right up front that I'm no free diving expert. This is nothing more than my personal journey and what I have learned along the way. Verify everything, because some of it could be wrong!

#1. Problems equalizing

I was having such a hard time equalizing that I was spending most of my time doing it and not getting a very good result.
Then I learned about Valsalva vs Frenzel. Frenzel works MUCH better for me! I can't wait to try it out in the Ocean soon!

#2. Hyperventilating

When I first got into free diving I used to go through about a 3 minute breathe up / hyper ventilating routine. I'm not sure what led to this... but after a few years I just stopped doing it. I actually got better results! Now I just relax, take maybe like 5 super deep breaths, then I dive.

#3. Body Conditioning Research

I've spent the past year searching high and low for answers to the question of "what can I do to hold my breath longer while diving?"
So far I've found a few basic answers:

Exercise that conditions your cardio system makes your body use the oxygen that it does have more efficiently.

When your body is consistantly in a state of oxygen deprivation, it releases a hormone which tells the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. I'm assuming that this allows your blood to store more oxygen per breath. Most people either train in high altitude or use a hypoxia tent for this.

Practicing packing air into your lungs will stretch out your rib cage and surrounding muscles / tissues ( so that you can fit more air ).

Staying properly hydrated is important. When you are dehydrated your blood can't transport oxygen as well as it could or should.

#4. Gear set up

I've gone through several iterations of gear set up over the past couple of years. I finally arrived at what I consider to be the best.

I wear a thick wetsuit ( 5mm because I'm cold natured and shivering wastes energy ).
I wear a wait belt that has a total weight 1 lb less than my total buoyancy. As a result I float on the surface of the water with 1lb of upward force. It's never been a problem while diving, but it means that I don't need a boat or a life vest (because I always float).
I use a snorkel while swimming and for my breath up's / breathe downs. For me it works perfectly! I can just lie face down floating in the water, relax, breath up then dive! When I return to the surface I use all of that breath that I stored up to clear the snorkel... go back to laying face down and recover while breathing on the snorkel.

Anyway... that's what I've learned so far. I hope that it helps.
I'm certain that I have a lot more to learn, so if any of this is wrong feel free to let me know ( though I would appreciate the flames being kept low ).

It's staying down longer. About 10 m into my 20 m swim, my diaphragm reflexively (annoyingly) starts to try and squash the air out of my lungs. I don't have access to a weight belt, so I'm also wasting energy counteracting my positive buoyancy.

If you are in a 3rd world Country where weight belts are expensive, you can always put rocks in your pocket. Another thing you can do is fill up a small bag with beach sand or rocks and tie it to your waist.

I know that when I was diving in Jamaica last time I made the mistake of not bringing my weight belt. It was a complete nightmare getting 15lbs worth of dumbells, and cost like $130! actual weight belts were simply not available, so I had to make my own!

As for your diafram issue.

Is it passive ( I.E. just the water pressure pushing it in )?
Or is it active ( involuntary muscle contractions )?

It's staying down longer. About 10 m into my 20 m swim, my diaphragm reflexively (annoyingly) starts to try and squash the air out of my lungs. I don't have access to a weight belt, so I'm also wasting energy counteracting my positive buoyancy.

It will be easier to help you if you could state your goals. Are you trying to just swim laps in a pool underwater? Or do you want to free dive vertically?
Are you wearing a wetsuit? I see you've dived in the Indo Pacific and SE Asia. Are you diving in water that temperature all the time?

Your weights will vary based on what your diving goals are. If you're doing laps in a pool at 5-6 foot depth and wearing a wetsuit, you'll weight yourself heavier than you would if you're planning dives in the same wetsuit to 60 or 70 feet. This is because you will want to be neutral at the 6 foot depth in the pool. But when doing vertical deep dives in the sea, you'll want to be neutral at more like 25 feet or so, which means, less weight since your lungs and wetsuit will compress with depth making you less buoyant.

The best way to improve in free diving is to free dive. Just keep at it. And do not feel you're safe doing laps alone in a shallow pool. If you're getting contractions, you're pushing it a bit. Make sure you have a buddy stay very close to you at all times. Experienced free divers have blacked out and drowned in pools.

@hakachukai: My country is technically third world, but weight belts and weights are available; I'm just unable to get them as of now.
My diaphragm contractions are the active type.

@Hank49: At the moment I'm trying to improve my endurance by swimming laps, but I'm going to try for depth on the next dive trip (personal record is 5.5 m in a brackish lake with fins but no weight belt.) The pool is quite warm so I just wear my swimsuit, but even tropical waters are cold for me so I'll be using a wetsuit in the sea.

@hakachukai: My country is technically third world, but weight belts and weights are available; I'm just unable to get them as of now.
My diaphragm contractions are the active type.

@Hank49: At the moment I'm trying to improve my endurance by swimming laps, but I'm going to try for depth on the next dive trip (personal record is 5.5 m in a brackish lake with fins but no weight belt.) The pool is quite warm so I just wear my swimsuit, but even tropical waters are cold for me so I'll be using a wetsuit in the sea.

Aeris F.10 V.2 Freediving Computer

Try getting hold of one of these. Free dive computer. Don't really set goals for depth right away. Dive with a buddy and get your weights adjusted and ......just relax and dive.
Try and do surface intervals that are three times the length of your last dive.

Back
Top Bottom