Feedback on a few Texas lakes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This spring / summer, I'd like to take a few roadtrips and dive some different spots. If anyone can provide some dive intel on the following lakes, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Hubbard Creek reservoir ( west of Possum Kingdom Lake)
2. Proctor Lake (north of Comanche)
3. OH Ivie Reservoir ( east of San Angelo)
4. Navaro Mills Lake (east of Hillsboro)
5. Lake Limestone (east of Waco)

USGS Reservoirs and Lakes

I'd start here. Several of the lakes you list are in the Brazos River Basin (Hubbard Creek, Proctor, and Limestone), where I work. I hope you realize that with the continuing drought, lake levels are at all-time lows in many areas, which may effect things like visibility and even access. I have to say that I am not familiar with diving in any of the Brazos lakes on your list, but can't honestly say that it's not done.

Never took a dive in any of the lakes you listed...but I suspect they are just like the others: Low & murky.

Im curious why not a list like this:

Lake Travis
Mammoth Lake
288 Lake
Athens Scuba Park
Lake Amistad
Lake Alan Henry
Comal River
Balmorhea State Park

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2013 at 10:02 AM ----------

Why not any of these lakes:

Lake Travis
Lake Amistad
Lake Alan Henry
288 Lake
Mammoth Lake
Balmorhea state park
Athens Scuba park
Comal river

All good (some low) diving locations across Texas.

Because these are all well known lakes for the most part. I would like to try other less known territories where "no man has gone before".

Im curious why not a list like this:

Lake Travis
Mammoth Lake
288 Lake
Athens Scuba Park
Lake Amistad
Lake Alan Henry
Comal River
Balmorhea State Park

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2013 at 10:02 AM ----------

Why not any of these lakes:

Lake Travis
Lake Amistad
Lake Alan Henry
288 Lake
Mammoth Lake
Balmorhea state park
Athens Scuba park
Comal river

All good (some low) diving locations across Texas.

There's usually a reason why "no man has gone before", and it's usually because "no man can see past his faceplate".

Yep. Been there, done that, and I do have the T-Shirt that says "good viz is overrated". I've done plenty of diving in low viz / black water. If anything, it has increased my confidence and skills. Maybe it's because I enjoy the planning, process and challenge of the dive more than the sights.
There's usually a reason why "no man has gone before", and it's usually because "no man can see past his faceplate".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom