High pressure hose swelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fwfire559

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I tried searching this topic and didn't find anything so here goes. My last two dives were in colder weather and not sure if that's what going on. My HP hose was noticeably swollen at female swivel end and had almost constant bubbles coming from around swivel area. Noticed when in water. When returned home and closer inspection of hose was unable to recreate. Placed in cold water and under pressure without any issues. Thought maybe a fluke. Dove again about a week ago and noticed the same thing. Returned and once again checked everything out and again unable to recreate. Any ideas? Thinking this hose is unsafe but confused as to why i cannot recreate to closer inspect.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The hose is bad. Throw it out and get a new one.

The outer jacket is just there to protect the inner hose. The inner hose is leaking and filling up the jacket. It's not repairable and will eventually burst.

flots

The hose is unsafe and is moments from going kaboom!!!!!! Remove it immediately and get another.

N

Don't worry about trying to recreate the problem, just replace the hose and enjoy your diving.

Thanks that's what I was afraid of. Hose is under two years old with only about a dozen dives on it. Kind of pissed it failed already.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yeah it is unusual for a hose to go after so little use but it does happen, possibly a bad batch. Regardless, as others have said the hose is dead, replace it.

Thanks that's what I was afraid of. Hose is under two years old with only about a dozen dives on it. Kind of pissed it failed already.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

My last trip to Coz, fall just past, I put a brand new fresh from the LDS HP hose on my spg. Got in the water, and Couv (a frequent poster on SB and a regulator guru) began pointing at my hose. I could not believe it was bad and stubbornly decided it must have been loose. Wrong, it was bad. Fortunately I had a spare and the shop near our hotel also had one which I purchased. I suspect it was damaged by the airline or the "Thousands Standing Around" but could simply have been a defective hose, in any case, you NEED a new hose NOW.

N

Are you certain that the bubbles were coming from the hose itself? It is not an uncommon problem for the spindle that attaches the SPG to the hose to develop a leak from corrosion, sand or salt crystals. It's an easy fix to replace the spindle. You might try that, if you are not entirely sure the hose is the source.

If you blow an HP hose, it will be annoying, but not disastrous. It takes about 20 minutes to empty an Al80 through the HP orifice.

spend $27.00 use 2 wrenches and less than 4 min a little sil grease your done

The hose is bad. Throw it out and get a new one.

The outer jacket is just there to protect the inner hose. The inner hose is leaking and filling up the jacket. It's not repairable and will eventually burst.

flots
Flots is right your hose is trashed, the reason you cannot duplicate the problem is because it has a small leak inside the outer coating and your HP hose has only a very small orifice so it takes a long time for it to start to balloon the casing. If you are determined to test it put it on a tank and leave it for 30 minutes under pressure I am sure you will then find the hose swollen again or leaking or burst.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom