Advice on fins please ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carpster61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody,

I have only got my Open water dives left at the end of May before I get my PADI OWC ... I have bought my Mask and Snorkel (Atomic ARC mask and SV2 Snorkel), and just ordered my wetsuit, I went for Aqualung Balance Comfort 5.5mm. Only fins left to buy. I was going to go straight for the Atomic Smoke on water splits thinking they were the best available, only to find that they are really only good for one type of kick and not the best for getting out of a situation, eg currents etc.
I will probably only be using the fins a couple of times abroad each year, starting in the Maldives in December. I will also use them for any dives I do off the UK shores.
I have asked in a few of the dive shops in and around London, and the name that comes up most are the Mares Quattro fins. Am I going too over the top by going for split fins considering I am a new diver ... ??? The reason I am going for the best gear is for the confidence factor and abilities to perform well in unlikely situations.
Any advice on my first pair of fins will be greatly appreciated. Obviously only needed down to 18 meters (At the moment) ...

Thanx ... ;-)

Welcome to :sblogo: you may have just opened up a "can of worms". Enjoy the results.
I like my ScubaPro splits with spring straps.

If you haven't done a search already do one on "split vs paddle fins" there is a plethora of info on the subject. Generally speaking as far as splits go Atomic are one if the best. The Quatros are a very highly rated paddle fin you'd likely not go wrong with either. Splits are easy on the legs and do not require a lot of effort but they do not generally excel at pin point control and for most people work best with flutter kick. If you take photos or need pint point control paddles are a better bet. This is a polarizing topic and people tend to love or hate splits. Hope this was if some help. Good luck.

Not to mention some people hate snorkels too.

I used Ocean V16 splits and found that I had a hard time fighting a current... I tried a dive masters Mares Avanti Quattros and really noticed a big difference.. I ordered a set and dove them for the first time last week (4 days of diving).. They are fairly light and have alot of power... A bit stiff, stiffer than a split of course, and I did notice that my legs got more of a workout as opposed to the splits.. They did work great in a current.. I even like the Mares buckle system that everyone gripes about!

I enjoy my ScubaPro TwinJets for split fins and rec diving but ScubaPro Jet Fins for caving...

Thanx for the replies everyone. I guess it's horses for courses. I think I will end up owning 2 pairs, one split and the other the Mares Quattro. The splits will be easier on my knees if they start aching too much with the Mares. I guess I will be using the splits more because I can't see myself going deeper than 18 meters. I guess thats opened up another can of worms ... Ha,ha ... !!! ... :wink:

Moana Waterman | Free Diving Carbon Fins

Just to confuse you a little more. I also have a pair of Mares Avante Qattros. Nice fins. But after using long blades and switching back to the Qattros,....it feels like I'm barefoot.
I use long blade carbon fiber for scuba now too.

Back
Top Bottom