Too hot in PDC, Tulum, Xcalak in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh thanks so much for reminding me.... mosquitoes.. Avon Skin so Soft.. mix half and half with water in a spray bottle.. they hate the stuff.. and it has no deet in it. However, you can always carry deep woods off..

It's nice at the moment but was very hot and muggy just a few weeks back. June is hot and humid, possible showers, many mosquitoes. On a positive note there are fewer tourists, and cenotes should be much more peaceful :).

Enjoy!

I never use sunscreen before diving as it can do so much damage to a reef as well as add chemicals to a cenote's aquifer. I do keep it handy to add after diving.

DEET is still the best choice for insects. Skin so soft has failed many trials, but some people still swear by it.

Salting food, drinking water, and eating spicy foods are best for heat. North Texas had 111F yesterday. :eek:

Don you have to remember that some ppl ARE allegeric to Deet, I be one of them. Skin so soft and eating garlic pills works for me...........most of the time..... the occasional kamikazi gets thru, only to be smashed when i slap my own self upside the head.. :D Fortunately for me, I love salt... but hate hot foods... spicy to me means cinnamon, nutmeg etc.. I am not much into pc terms for hot stuff.. it is either hot or its not.. got a bunch of poblanos that need a home btw.. I just grow em don't eat the stuff.. :idk:

I never use sunscreen before diving as it can do so much damage to a reef as well as add chemicals to a cenote's aquifer. I do keep it handy to add after diving.

DEET is still the best choice for insects. Skin so soft has failed many trials, but some people still swear by it.

Salting food, drinking water, and eating spicy foods are best for heat. North Texas had 111F yesterday. :eek:

Don you have to remember that some ppl ARE allegeric to Deet, I be one of them. Skin so soft and eating garlic pills works for me...........most of the time..... the occasional kamikazi gets thru, only to be smashed when i slap my own self upside the head.. :D Fortunately for me, I love salt... but hate hot foods... spicy to me means cinnamon, nutmeg etc.. I am not much into pc terms for hot stuff.. it is either hot or its not.. got a bunch of poblanos that need a home btw.. I just grow em don't eat the stuff.. :idk:
Have you tried picaridin...??

I really appreciate the realistic encouragement - hopefully the weather in New England will provide us some acclimatization prior to arrival! We'll try and be at 66 fsw during the middle of the day. Hope Texas has a better summer than last year, DandyDon - doesn't sound like it's starting off so great.

We probably will try the garlic, but mainly as sopa de ajo, not as pastillas! Otherwise, I'm a DEET fan.

Now, I just have to plow through SB for dive operators/hotels/car rental advice... So many options!

I really appreciate the realistic encouragement - hopefully the weather in New England will provide us some acclimatization prior to arrival! We'll try and be at 66 fsw during the middle of the day. Hope Texas has a better summer than last year, DandyDon - doesn't sound like it's starting off so great.

We probably will try the garlic, but mainly as sopa de ajo, not as pastillas! Otherwise, I'm a DEET fan.

Now, I just have to plow through SB for dive operators/hotels/car rental advice... So many options!
I'm glad you are not discouraged. I used to have various friends visit me on the farm, tagging along as I worked in the heat of the growing season and all - and I remember one lady from Milwaukee who suffered a bit of heat exhaustion. I then learned that she was on a low-salt diet! :shocked2: When you sweat, you need to replace the salts you lose. With plenty of liquids and salting your food well, you may be uncomfortable at times - but you can adapt as you go.

For planning maps, you might like the zoom-in benefit of this one: http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterQR.png Click the map for close in. For traveling tho, nothing beat the details on those from cancunmap.com-Maps and travel guides.Your information source to Cancun,Cozumel,Isla Mujeres & Riviera Maya and be sure to get the Cancun airport map! I may not always agree with her opinions, but the directions, info, etc is usually pretty accurate. Nice to know where the gas stations are as they are infrequent. Do watch those boys filling your tank tho as they can be tricky with overrings!

For car rentals, I like the Car & Insurance packages at Easy Way Cancun Car Rental: your Cancun Airport Rental Car Always get all insurance, from the rental agency, not relying on other providers! There are other cautions on renting and driving there too.

For hotel shopping, I compare results at Kayak.com and Orbit. :wink:

Went down to Xcalak last August and turns out that over the grocery store they have a couple bare bones rooms with AC for $500 MP I was fearful of 'no AC' so I stayed there. That being said I really didn't need it, the small hotels and B&B's are right on the beach and there is normally a nice breeze. It is hot a couple 100 yds inland but near the beach it is natrually air conditioned by the sea breeze. Next time I will probably rent a room from XTC dive center.

10 Day Weather Forecast for Xcalak - weather.com

been warm all over the Yucatan Peninsula of late. For me it is realtive. I hate cold and don't turn the AC on here in Fla till the house inside hits around 88-89 and keep it no lower than 82 in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom