Best way to cut a hole in webbing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a nail and a lighter to mount my knife on some webbing. Pair of pliers to hold the nail. worked perfectly and easily. I wouldn't use the soldering iron because it's just morally wrong to waste a good iron like that! lol. You don't have to get the nail red hot. Just 20 seconds over a lighter and it goes through webbing easily.

If you want a clean hole with reenforced edges (i'm not sure what you plan to clip to the new hole) Id use a grommet cutter and install a metal grommet. It's cheap (well, not as cheap as a lighter and an upholstery nail) it's more durable, and you can reproduce the exact same results time and time again.

Cheap soldering gun. To make the hole neat you can use a washer to act as a guide of the ID you want. However, most people just punch the heated iron through the webbing with a steady push.

N

You can heat an empty .30 caliber cartridge case with a torch / gas stove held in vice grips. Push and twist the neck end through the webbing, perfect hole.

You can heat an empty .30 caliber cartridge case with a torch / gas stove held in vice grips. Push and twist the neck end through the webbing, perfect hole.

Empty you say?

Crap. I knew I was doing something wrong. It wouldn't cut worth anything, but I kept beating it with a hammer until I got a hole. It sure was loud.

Note for the humor-impaired: This above was meant as a joke and not as instructions. Don't try this at home. Do not look into laser with remaining eye.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but maybe my question will help the OP.

Does anyone have experience with these inexpensive grommet tools and kits available on Ebay? Is there a 'best' way to apply them when working w. webbing?

I've used the equivalent from my local ACE hardware. No problems works great

I have a cheap grommet kit, they work fine (also from ACE). The secret is to heat the punch so you cut and bond the edges in one motion.
A cheap alternative is a pipe nipple in the appropriate diameter (about a buck). Use a grinder to bevel a cutting edge, then heat and punch.
The punches / nails / soldering irons work fine for small holes, but larger holes end up messy but functional.

I'm going along with the .30 cartridge idea, but with some modifications. I placed a live .30-06 round in a M1 Garand, backed off, took careful aim at the webbing and fired. Voila'! Perfectly round hole. Where I messed up was in using that flamethrower in searing the edges. Only found a flaming puddle of plastic where the webbing once was. I'll continue to work on it and get back to you.

(put same disclaimer as flots am here...)

Empty you say?

Crap. I knew I was doing something wrong. It wouldn't cut worth anything, but I kept beating it with a hammer until I got a hole. It sure was loud.

Note for the humor-impaired: This above was meant as a joke and not as instructions. Don't try this at home. Do not look into laser with remaining eye.

Damn, I missed that one word: EMPTY. :shakehead:

My beer drinking buddy, lawyer says I can sue everyone

I'm going along with the .30 cartridge idea, but with some modifications. I placed a live .30-06 round in a M1 Garand, backed off, took careful aim at the webbing and fired. Voila'! Perfectly round hole. Where I messed up was in using that flamethrower in searing the edges. Only found a flaming puddle of plastic where the webbing once was. I'll continue to work on it and get back to you.

(put same disclaimer as flots am here...)

Use a tracer round next time!

Back
Top Bottom