Best way to cut a hole in webbing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a878bob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm thinking about adding some accessories to my harness. What's the best way put clean hole maybe 5/16 or so? I practiced on a spare piece, started with a drill, not so good, used a lighter to open it up a little, maybe a little better, but needs improvement.

I am not saying anything about recommending it for this particular use, but heating a large nail to cherry red, and poking it threw a web belt does cut a hole that will not unravel the material.

Better yet, get a piece of metal pipe of the diameter you are looking for, use a propane torch to heat one end to red hot and melt the hole. Make sure you put a block of wood under the webbing before you start.

Soldering iron is an option, but I use the chunk of metal/propane torch method myself.

Also, for cutting webbing, a cheap butter knife heated via propane torch does a much cleaner and ravel-resistant job than first using scissors and then melting with a lighter.

I've found that one of those short Phillips head drill bits is about the right size for a grommet I heat it up with a hand held propane torch (don't hold it with your fingers. :D a pair of vice locks works well) and just push it through. That way there's no fraying.

Agree with the soldering iron--you can usually find a cheap, thin one that matches the hole size you want. What do you want to put on your harness that requires putting a hole in it?

Small pearing knife. Score your circumference, poke into the webbing and twist. Use needle nose pliers and scissors to trim out the resulting fluff. Then flame the perimeter to harden.

Or you could buy a expensive grommet punch, punch mallet, and punch mat.

I've used a soldering gun to do this. Do not ever do it with a soldering gun you want to use again for soldering.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but maybe my question will help the OP.

Does anyone have experience with these inexpensive grommet tools and kits available on Ebay? Is there a 'best' way to apply them when working w. webbing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom