Nauticam NA-EM5: Salt under port lock mechanism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
I've only used my NA-EM5 on a couple of dives, but I seem to have a problem rinsing all the seawater from underneath the port locking mechanism. I think I'm fairly careful in rinsing the housing after my dives, first hosing it off for a few minutes and then letting it soak for half an hour to an hour in a bucket of fresh water. I operate all the buttons and dials during soaking to wash out the seawater.

Even with this rinsing protocol, I see salt around the port locking mechanism, where the plastic mechanism is screwed on to the aluminum housing. I've attached a picture showing the salt coming from under the port lock. It seems as if there's seawater trapped under the mechanism, and it isn't rinsed out even after a half hour to an hour's soak. I'm a bit concerned about this, since salt generally is bad for anything metal.

• Is this a real problem, or just an imaginary one?
  • What am I doing wrong?
  • Is it a Good Idea™ or a Bad Idea™ to loosen the screws holding the port locking mechanism to the housing and seal the microscopic gap with silicone grease before re-tightening the screws?

NA-EM5_salt.jpg

I have hundreds of dives on my NA-EM5 and have some deposits in the same place on my housing. Even with lots of soaking, saltwater hides in little nooks and crannies on housings. IMHO, you shouldn't worry.

I'm not convinced that the residue is salt. When I first got my housing, I dipped it into a pool to test the o-rings and other seals. I dropped down to the bottom at 12 feet, realizing that this wasn't much pressure, but at least the port and door were not leaking at the surface! Anyway, after rinsing the housing and drying it, I had the same residue on the port lock plate, and I had not been in salt water at all. Also, I tried to wipe it off and it is very difficult to remove. I'm thinking it's some left over sealant that doesn't appear until the housing is wet.

I agree with the above in that it's probably not salt. Seen it on brand new housings before.

Last edited:
i soak my housing in distilled water. you would have to weigh the housing down and soak for a day to loosen every bit of salt. i do the same for my dive computers.

i also carry a air-blower that can be fitted to the BCD inflator to flush sand/water from the locking mechanism after every rinse. and OT a bit, wipe the wet lens dry as well ?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom